No class def found

Chris

Ok, this is really embarrassing. I'm an experience Java developer, and
shouldn't have to ask a question like this.

On one of my computers, I put Test.class in C:\, cd to it, and run "java
Test". Everything runs fine.

On another computer I do the same thing and get

Exception in thread "main" get java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Test

What could possibly be going on?

Both computers are running Windows. The code is identical in both cases.
Yes, the class is in the right directory. No, the class is not part of a
package.

Wendy S

Chris said:
On one of my computers, I put Test.class in C:\, cd to it, and run "java
Test". Everything runs fine.
On another computer I do the same thing and get
Exception in thread "main" get java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Test
What could possibly be going on?
Both computers are running Windows. The code is identical in both cases.
Yes, the class is in the right directory. No, the class is not part of a
package.

What does
echo %CLASSPATH%
return on each of them?

I wonder if the non-working one has a CLASSPATH environment variable set
that does not include "." (for 'the current directory').

Ryan Stewart

Wendy S said:
Chris said:
On one of my computers, I put Test.class in C:\, cd to it, and run "java
Test". Everything runs fine.
On another computer I do the same thing and get
Exception in thread "main" get java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Test
[...]
What does
echo %CLASSPATH%
return on each of them?

I wonder if the non-working one has a CLASSPATH environment variable set
that does not include "." (for 'the current directory').
Or one does not include C:\. Or one has no CLASSPATH, which defaults to the
current directory.