no client-side code to check if a file path exists?

Matt

<input type="file" size=50"> will produce the browse button
and browse text box.

The user can either select the file from browse button,
or enter a path in browse text box manually. My question is if
there are any client-side code to check if the path exists
in this case? My understanding is that no client-side
solution to this problem.

please advise. thanks!!

rf

Matt wrote
<input type="file" size=50"> will produce the browse button
and browse text box.

The user can either select the file from browse button,
or enter a path in browse text box manually. My question is if
there are any client-side code to check if the path exists
in this case?

No, assuming you mean javascript code.
My understanding is that no client-side
solution to this problem.

Correct. Javascript does not have access to the local file system, or any
file system for that matter.

brucie

In alt.html Matt said:
The user can either select the file from browse button,
or enter a path in browse text box manually. My question is if
there are any client-side code to check if the path exists
in this case?

hmmmmm... i wonder if my visitors have XYZ version 3. its got a security
hole i can exploit.

i know, it has a directory entry unique from the other versions. i'll
just check if the path to that directory is valid.....