No debug on Server 2003...tried everything

Amil Hanish

Don't reply to this unless you know what you are talking about.

Installed brand spanking new 2003 Server. Configured to be application
server. Then installed Visual Studio .NET. Copied over web application
from another
server and set up normal web site.

When I try to debug the application within .NET, it always gives me the
error saying that I'm not part of the Debugger Users group. I'm in
Administrator, Debugger
Users, VS Developers and many a few other groups! Why doesn't this work.

I've surfed the web and tried several things. No matter what I try, it
won't let me debug an application. And yes, my config file has debug turned
on. This exact
same project worked fine on Windows 2000...no changes have even been made.
I also done
have something called the Security Lockdown tool (no urlscan.ini) on the
system
(per some other posts). The web site is configured as an application. I'VE
TRIED ALL
THE OBVIOUS STUFF THAT FOLKS POST. WHAT'S UP!!??

Microsoft...is this why no one is using 2003 yet?

Amil

Alvin Bruney [MVP]

amil,
you can find more specific help to your problem by posting this to the
debugger newsgroup. One of the experts over there can walk you thru.

Kevin Spencer

Why did you run the Security Lockdown tool? That isn't even designed for IIS
6, which is the web server on a Windows 2003 server? In other words, looks
like you hosed your own security. Windows Server 2003 needs no security
lockdown tool to be run on it. It ships with the highest possible secuity
enabled for it. Only heaven knows what you may have changed with that tool,
and since it is not for Windows Server 2003, I doubt that anyone can tell
you how to fix it.

--
HTH,
Kevin Spencer

Amil Hanish

OK, here is what solved my problem. The dialog box that shows the error has
a help button.
The help button says that one option is to add the web application to the
"Trusted Zone", which
I did. I finally solved the problem by moving the web address to the
"Intranet Zone" instead.

Guest

SOULUTION FOUND BUT THE REASON STILL MISSING..

Everything worked fine until one day the same problem occured

Config: Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition, Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003, Default IIS..
Error: have to check if I'm a "debugger users" group member..
Also tried *EVERYTHING* that seemed to be reasonable..
Fully reinstalled IIS, Microsoft Visual Studio.Net 2003 and got no luck at all..

Finally I found this thread and tried my luck in such an unreasonable Security zones setting in IExplorer's Internet Options
I moved http://localhost from Local intranet zone to trusted zone - no luck
Moved it back - still no luck
Changed the last security setting in Local intranet zone: User Authentication - Logon: from "Prompt for user name and password" to "Automatic logon with current username and password" - this solved the problem, BUT WAIT!!
Changed it back to where it was before - "Prompt for user name and password" and it still works!!

What the hell is this

Is this just another bug in Microsoft's software
Now it works fine and I can debug whatever I want even if I remove the http://localhost from all of the zones..

Any explanation on this would be nicely appreciated because I really want to understand what was the *REAL* reason of the above mentioned debugger problem

----- Amil Hanish wrote: ----

OK, here is what solved my problem. The dialog box that shows the error ha
a help button
The help button says that one option is to add the web application to th
"Trusted Zone", whic
I did. I finally solved the problem by moving the web address to th
"Intranet Zone" instead