    a book - so I hope you understand my problem]

    BTW is there an IRC channel for standard C programming ?

    Thankyou

    oracleofdelphi, Sep 24, 2003

  2. oracleofdelphi <> wrote:
    : Hello,
    : Pardon me if this is out of topic. I can program in C but looks
    : like I'm not very good at it.

    You know, you are not unique; many, if not all, of the people who give
    answers in this group, could probably have written what you wrote at
    some time in their lives.

    : I think I need more experience. What
    : should I do ?

    Keep on trying to write programs which you find interesting.

    : Is there any "exercise collection" I can use to get some
    : experience ?

    The first thing which comes to mind is the Exercises in K&R2 (see
    the FAQ for c.l.c, especially questions 18.10 and 18.11).

    Speaking of the FAQ, you could go through that and try the various
    snippets of code. For example, write a function using fgets() and
    sscanf() to get input from a user. Then write a complete program which
    uses this function.

    : I dont know advanced programming concepts ( like hash
    : table etc., ).

    This is not necessary to begin with.

    What should I do to be able to write "real" programs.[I
    : suppose many of you are university students, but I just learned C from
    : a book - so I hope you understand my problem]

    Pick a problem in which you are interested, and write a program which
    helps you solve that problem. You have to use some discernment here.
    For example, don't try writing code to figure out the human genome.
    Being able to calculate how much money you spend on food or gasoline
    (if applicable) per month would be enough for a starter project.

    : BTW is there an IRC channel for standard C programming ?

    I don't know.

    Paul
    --
    Paul D. Boyle

    North Carolina State University
    http://www.xray.ncsu.edu

    Paul D. Boyle, Sep 24, 2003

  3. What I'd advise you is to join in the development of one of the projects on
    SourceForge.net. It's true most people are looking for experienced programmers,
    but personally, I don't mind having an inexperienced programmer on board if
    he's willing to learn :)

    I have two pre-alpha projects on SourceForge (DNAse and jail-ust) of which one
    (jail-ust) is about to start development on the preprocessor. Feel free to
    join me :) (I am currently the only developer on jail-ust, but I expect the guy
    I've been talking with to define the language might want to do some
    implementing as well).

    Note, though, that I used to teach C and I expect very proper, very portable
    code - which may be a bit of a pain in the B-hind to some :)

    rlc

    --
    Jail: Just Another Interpreted Language
    Just: Jail Uses Silly Terms

    Join the discussion on the definition of this language at
    http://jail-ust.sourceforge.net
    (send mail to )

    Ronald Landheer-Cieslak, Sep 24, 2003
  4. oracleofdelphi

    Dan Pop Guest

    In <> (oracleofdelphi) writes:

    > Pardon me if this is out of topic. I can program in C but looks
    >like I'm not very good at it. I think I need more experience. What
    >should I do ? Is there any "exercise collection" I can use to get some
    >experience ? I dont know advanced programming concepts ( like hash
    >table etc., ). What should I do to be able to write "real" programs.[I
    >suppose many of you are university students, but I just learned C from
    >a book - so I hope you understand my problem]

    By the time you have solved all the exercises in K&R2, you're quite
    ready for writing "real" C programs. They don't require any more
    background than the book actually provides.

    Dan
    --
    Dan Pop
    DESY Zeuthen, RZ group

    Dan Pop, Sep 24, 2003
  5. oracleofdelphi

    j Guest

    Visit the following URI: http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html

    > BTW is there an IRC channel for standard C programming ?

    Sure. irc.freenode.net channel #C
    I should note though, while many implementation specific things are also
    discussed there, ISO C is discussed as well.

    j, Sep 24, 2003
  6. oracleofdelphi

    Nathan Guest

    > > Pardon me if this is out of topic. I can program in C but looks
    > >like I'm not very good at it. I think I need more experience. What
    > >should I do ? Is there any "exercise collection" I can use to get some
    > >experience ? I dont know advanced programming concepts ( like hash
    > >table etc., ). What should I do to be able to write "real" programs.[I
    > >suppose many of you are university students, but I just learned C from
    > >a book - so I hope you understand my problem]

    > By the time you have solved all the exercises in K&R2, you're quite
    > ready for writing "real" C programs. They don't require any more
    > background than the book actually provides.

    I agree. Also if you have finished K&R2, a way to get more experience in C
    programming and to learn some more about programming in general could be the
    following: Read about algorithms and datastructures and implement them in C
    as excercises. A good book on this topic is Algorithms in C, from Robert
    Sedgewick. An other good book on this is Datastructures and Program Design
    in C, from Robert Kruse and others. And ofcourse there are also lots of
    online resources on this topic.

    Regards,
    Nathan

    Nathan, Sep 24, 2003
  7. oracleofdelphi

    Micah Cowan Guest

    (oracleofdelphi) writes:

    > Hello,
    > Pardon me if this is out of topic. I can program in C but looks
    > like I'm not very good at it. I think I need more experience. What
    > should I do ? Is there any "exercise collection" I can use to get some
    > experience ? I dont know advanced programming concepts ( like hash
    > table etc., ). What should I do to be able to write "real" programs.[I
    > suppose many of you are university students, but I just learned C from
    > a book - so I hope you understand my problem]

    I suppose you came to this conclusion by reading this newsgroup?
    The very first thing I would recommend is: keep doing so. It has
    been one of the single most helpful things to my C programming
    expertise.

    And don't feel bad about having learned C form a book: I suspect
    that many of the experts on this NG also did not learn from a
    classroom. It is my belief that you are likely to fare far better
    by teaching yourself from a good book, then to get it through
    middle-men, a depressingly large percentage of which seem to be
    less-than-competent anyway. BTW, from what book did you teach
    yourself? There are a very large number of poor C books, and even
    many of the very good ones have problems. My recommendations
    would be:

    1. K&R2 (The C Programming Language, 2nd ed., by Kernighan and
    Ritchie)
    2. Algorithms in C, Robert Sedgewick
    3. Writing Solid Code, Steve Maguire, Microsoft Press

    For 2. and 3., focus more on the concepts than on the actual
    code. Ben Pfaff has pointed out some problems with the code in
    (3.), but the volume still stands out to me as having terrific
    principles for writing very excellent code.

    But you can't learn everything from books. Experience in finding
    good design and coding practices comes from actually encountering
    them (and in encountering the bad ones, too). Reading this NG
    helps. Reading a lot of code does too: but keep in mind that most
    code is filled with examples of what not to do; even some of the
    best code I've seen tends to have poor ideas about certain
    things. So read a *lot* of code, and compare them against
    eachother.

    HTH,
    -Micah

    Micah Cowan, Sep 24, 2003
  8. Thanks for the advice (and encouragement!). So looks like I'm off to coding again :)
    [BTW I learned from K&R2: although I couldnt solve all the exercises.]

    oracleofdelphi, Sep 26, 2003