No "fault" element in generated WSDL

Robbo

I wonder if anyone can help regarding webservices and exceptions? I have
given the WSDL generated from my webservice to my integration team and they
are saying it needs a "fault" element in order for them to publish it, as it
will be called by non .net clients.

I.e: they are saying it needs something like:

<wsdl:eek:peration name="MI_OUT_customerData">
<soap:eek:peration
soapAction=http://blah.com/get />
<wsdl:input>
<soap:body
xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/" use="literal" />
</wsdl:input>
<wsdl:eek:utput>
<soap:body
xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/" use="literal" />
</wsdl:eek:utput>
<wsdl:fault name="CustomError">
<soap:fault
xmlns:soap="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/wsdl/soap/" use="literal"
name="CustomError" />
</wsdl:fault>
</wsdl:eek:peration>

However, I only have the input & output elements under my operation, no
<wdsl:fault> element.

Can I get the faults/exceptions specifically declared in there somehow?

Thanks,

Paul

John Saunders [MVP]

Robbo said:
[...]

Sorry, no, not without a lot of custom development, at any rate.

..NET doesn't generate fault information. I suspect this is partially because
there's no obvious source of the information. For instance, a Java method
must be decorated with a throws() clause listing all possible exceptions it
may throw. I presume that a Java-to-WSDL program would use this information
to generate fault elements in the WSDL.

..NET programs don't have that kind of information available. If you really
need this, and if you have nothing better to do for the next few months, you
might be able to write a piece of code to interface with the process .NET
uses to reflect over your code to create the WSDL. Such a piece of code
could do something like parse the XML file that results from compilation
with XML comments. It could look for the <exception/> information and might
be able to generate fault elements for you.

Otherwise, you're pretty much out of luck without switching to WCF. WCF
allows you to indicate which faults you want included in the WSDL.