    I can see other favicons in IE7, such as on the Google site. But I
    can't see any reference to this icon in their code, either.

    Thanks.

    Dinsdale, Jul 8, 2006

  2. Dinsdale wrote:

    > It works in every other browser, on both Mac and Windows OS.
    >
    > hxxp://www.24hourhotline.net

    I was going to look at your code, but as soon as you screwed with my
    browser - maximizing it - I decided that was enough.

    I own my browser, not you.

    > Thanks.

    You're most welcome.

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 8, 2006

  3. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Dinsdale wrote:
    >
    >> It works in every other browser, on both Mac and Windows OS.
    >>
    >> hxxp://www.24hourhotline.net

    > I was going to look at your code, but as soon as you screwed with my
    > browser - maximizing it - I decided that was enough.
    >
    > I own my browser, not you.
    >
    >> Thanks.

    > You're most welcome.

    luckily the JavaScript was so old it didn't even try to resize my
    browser windows.... Dinsdale (sounds like a Monty Python line) dump the
    archaic Dynamic Drive crap. (Man I's surly tonight!)

    Small thing but for XHTML this in not terminated correctly

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.24hourhotline.net/favicon.ico" >

    should be:

    <link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://www.24hourhotline.net/favicon.ico" />

    Not sure if IE7 is the same as its predecessors but IE like single
    format 16x16 favicons and generally 16-color.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 8, 2006
  4. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> I was going to look at your code, but as soon as you screwed with my
    >> browser - maximizing it - I decided that was enough.
    >>
    >> I own my browser, not you.

    > luckily the JavaScript was so old it didn't even try to resize my
    > browser windows.... Dinsdale (sounds like a Monty Python line) dump
    > the archaic Dynamic Drive crap. (Man I's surly tonight!)

    At this time, the maximizing code is gone from the page. <g>

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Jul 8, 2006
  5. Dinsdale

    Dinsdale Guest

    Jonathan:

    Adding a forward slash didn't fix it. I even checked the code provided
    to me by the site that generated the favicon.ico itself.

    I also ran a favicon validator service I found here:

    http://www.htmlkit.com/go/favicon/validator/

    And it passed validation.

    But what I've just noticed is, the actual favicon is 32x32. That's
    what gets generated when you upload your image file here:

    http://www.chami.com/html-kit/

    They give you a 16x16 animated version (don't want to use that!), and a
    16x16 PNG format as a preview.

    But no 16x16 .ico file.

    So, let's figure out how to get a static 16x16 .ico file produced.
    What's behind this file conversion process, anyway? It's not actually
    disguised as a bitmap format, I already tried.

    Thanks.

    Dinsdale, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Dinsdale wrote:
    > Jonathan:
    >
    > Adding a forward slash didn't fix it. I even checked the code provided
    > to me by the site that generated the favicon.ico itself.
    >
    > I also ran a favicon validator service I found here:
    >
    > http://www.htmlkit.com/go/favicon/validator/
    >
    > And it passed validation.
    >
    > But what I've just noticed is, the actual favicon is 32x32. That's
    > what gets generated when you upload your image file here:
    >
    > http://www.chami.com/html-kit/
    >
    > They give you a 16x16 animated version (don't want to use that!), and a
    > 16x16 PNG format as a preview.
    >
    > But no 16x16 .ico file.
    >
    > So, let's figure out how to get a static 16x16 .ico file produced.
    > What's behind this file conversion process, anyway? It's not actually
    > disguised as a bitmap format, I already tried.

    Actually it is a dual format ICO with 1 16x16@256-color and 1
    32x32@256-color icon. I have a icon editor, Google for one, there are
    many free ones out there or you can use the freeware IrfanView
    (www.irfanview.com) to convert a 16x16 BMP to ICO.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, Jul 8, 2006
  7. Dinsdale

    Dinsdale Guest

    OK, back to square one.

    So why doesn't this thing display in IE7?

    Dinsdale, Jul 8, 2006

    Because the icon you are using has two versions within it, a 32x32@256
    icon *and* 16x16@256. Strip out the 32x32@256 icon and it would work in IE.

    --