no <label> in Netscape 6?

e n | c k m a

Hey,

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was looking for a quick fix I
suppose. Netscape 6.2 doesn't seem to be able to support the <label> tag -
it just doesn't display them AT ALL [as if they don't exist] on a web form.

Netscape 7.1 works fine - I haven't tried other Netscape browsers.

Is there a fix I could use for this?
Thanks in advance,

Nick.

Bill Mason

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I was looking for a quick fix I
suppose. Netscape 6.2 doesn't seem to be able to support the <label> tag -
it just doesn't display them AT ALL [as if they don't exist] on a web form.

Netscape 7.1 works fine - I haven't tried other Netscape browsers.

Is there a fix I could use for this?
Thanks in advance,

They can work in 6.2 - they work on my site. But there were old bugs
that made them vanish depending on what kind of CSS formatting you try
to do with them, particularly with positioning or floating I think it
was.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet
http://www.accessibleinter.net/

Kris

e n | c k m a said:
Do you have to use span or can you use div as well?

Sure. Or <p>. Whatever suits the content. I tend to use <span> because
it is 'a last hope' when my markup is already as clean and appropriate
as I can get it. This is also merely an example that goes in a lot of
situations, but probably not in all.
Also, can the lbl class
contain the float attribute?

Yes, that is the point.
..lbl { float: left; width: 12em; }
Do you have to specifically use 'lbl' in the class definition as well?

Yes. See CSS above.

Brian

Kris said:

<sarcasm>Or do what the clueless do, don't use LABEL and CSS at
all. After all, it is not supported really.</sarcasm >

<sarcasm class="very">yeah, css is broken, it doesn't work as good as
table layouts. table layouts make things look the same in all
browsers.</sarcasm>

Kris

Brian said:
Get out! You mean N6 only chokes on the tag?! <sigh> :) Thanks, I
would never have imagined.

No, N6 chokes whenapplying CSS positioning or floats on LABEL. It makes
it dissapear.
<sarcasm class="very">yeah, css is broken, it doesn't work as good as
table layouts. table layouts make things look the same in all
browsers.</sarcasm>

<sarcasm>Which enables our kind to exert even more control over those
stupid cows of visitors. Clearly our precious artistic talents need to
be forced upon them, for they cannot make any decision themselves nor
are allowed to have any preference. Which reminds me to strongly
encourage taking over the user's browser as well, by raining down popup
and popunder windows, resize their browser, auto-adding bookmarks, hide
the status bar content, breaking the back button and changing their GUI
elements, like scrollbars and form-controls. Now, close your eyes and
count to 666.</sarcasm>