no minor GC

Discussion in 'Java' started by gmh@ull.edu, May 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have a web-based Java application running under Tomcat 5.0.16,
    started with the following JVM options:

    -Xms128m
    -Xmx2304m
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
    -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=<port>
    -Djava.awt.headless=true
    -Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=600000
    -Dsun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout=120000
    -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
    -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=PKCS12
    -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/opt/validation/xxxx.xxx
    -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=xxxxxx
    -Xloggc:/home/gmh2441/gc.dat
    -d64
    -server

    (my JVM version is 1.5.0_11 (64 bit))

    In monitoring the application, both with jconsole (from JDK 1.5) and
    looking at the garbage collection log, I have seen that after several
    days of usage, there are no longer any minor GCs taking place; it
    appears, from the jconsole graph, that objects go straight from Eden
    space to tenured space, and the GC takes place there. I see this in
    the GC log as after those several days, there are no minor GCs listed
    in my log, only full GCs. As far as I know, there are no explicit
    calls to System.gc() in the application. I know that using RMI causes
    a full GC every minute by default, but I'm seeing too many full GCs
    for this to be the case. What does this lack of minor GCs indicate?

    Thanks!

    Lynn.
    , May 16, 2007

  2. On 16.05.2007 15:35, wrote:
    > I have a web-based Java application running under Tomcat 5.0.16,
    > started with the following JVM options:
    >
    > -Xms128m
    > -Xmx2304m
    > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote
    > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.port=<port>
    > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.ssl=false
    > -Dcom.sun.management.jmxremote.authenticate=false
    > -Djava.awt.headless=true
    > -Dsun.net.client.defaultReadTimeout=600000
    > -Dsun.net.client.defaultConnectTimeout=120000
    > -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError
    > -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStoreType=PKCS12
    > -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStore=/opt/validation/xxxx.xxx
    > -Djavax.net.ssl.trustStorePassword=xxxxxx
    > -Xloggc:/home/gmh2441/gc.dat
    > -d64
    > -server
    >
    > (my JVM version is 1.5.0_11 (64 bit))
    >
    > In monitoring the application, both with jconsole (from JDK 1.5) and
    > looking at the garbage collection log, I have seen that after several
    > days of usage, there are no longer any minor GCs taking place; it
    > appears, from the jconsole graph, that objects go straight from Eden
    > space to tenured space, and the GC takes place there. I see this in
    > the GC log as after those several days, there are no minor GCs listed
    > in my log, only full GCs. As far as I know, there are no explicit
    > calls to System.gc() in the application. I know that using RMI causes
    > a full GC every minute by default, but I'm seeing too many full GCs
    > for this to be the case. What does this lack of minor GCs indicate?

    Maybe your sessions do not expire and they hold on to too much data.
    Just a wild guess.

    robert
    Robert Klemme, May 16, 2007