no more pop-ups in IE?

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Ed, Nov 25, 2003.

  1. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Ed, Nov 25, 2003

  2. Ed

    Foo Man Chew Guest

    I guess they'll have to start using target=_blank. Aw, what a pity. No
    more taking over my browser. Good riddance.

    http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031124.gtpopnov24/BNStory/Technology/

    > How will this impact legitimate web application pop-up windows, or web

    apps

    Foo Man Chew, Nov 25, 2003

  3. "Ed" wrote:

    http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031124.gtpopnov24/BNStory/Technology/

    What's a pop-up ad?

    > How will this impact legitimate web application pop-up
    > windows, or web apps that make use of their own custom
    > error alert dialogs? i.e. javascript window.open()

    Assuming MS implements pop-up blocking in a similar manner to that performed
    by Mozilla, it shouldn't have much effect on applications. Mozilla blocks
    "unrequested" windows, and I have found it to be quite accurate at
    differentiating between requested and unrequested windows.

    I haven't seen a pop-up/under ad in a very long time, and I have yet to
    notice an application that broke as a result (though I can envision how it
    might happen).

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Nov 25, 2003
  4. Ed

    Tom B Guest

    I write many legitimate web applications that are not on the www. In many
    of these I use pop-ups for such things as adding additional information. A
    good example, is a select list with the option of clicking on "new" to
    create an additional entry in the list.

    I've found that my users prefer to fill out forms all on one page, with pop
    ups for supplementary information.
    You may notice that Outlook Express "pops up" a new window when you hit
    reply.

    Tom B

    Tom B, Nov 26, 2003
  5. Ed

    Dan Brussee Guest

    On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:57:34 -0000, "William Tasso"
    <> wrote:

    >Ed wrote:
    >> read article:
    >>

    >http://www.globeandmail.ca/servlet/story/RTGAM.20031124.gtpopnov24/BNStory/Technology/
    >>
    >> How will this impact legitimate web application

    >it won't - applications created for use on the www don't use pop-ups
    >
    >> pop-up windows, or
    >> web apps that make use of their own custom error alert dialogs? i.e.
    >> javascript window.open()

    >does anybody still let javascript do that in their browser? why?

    Yes they do. Any number of reasons. Believe it or not, it is not up to
    us to decide what is an appropriate use of user interface. We may not
    like it, but that's why there is chocolate and vanilla. In the end, if
    it can be done, it will be. Popups are common and many feel that it
    emulates how a "normal" Windows app would function. Either way, if the
    feature is there, it makes it difficult if it is pulled out for
    whatever reason - even if it is "obvious" to others.
    Dan Brussee, Nov 26, 2003
  6. Ed

    Tim Slattery Guest

    Tim Slattery, Nov 26, 2003
  7. Ed

    keith Guest

    ditto

    granted most of mine are Intranet apps, but window.open()
    is very usefull in legitimate apps.

    keith, Nov 26, 2003
  8. Ed

    Ed Guest

    Can you elaborate on the differences between requested and unrequested
    windows?

    Ed, Nov 26, 2003
  9. "Ed" wrote:

    > Can you elaborate on the differences between requested
    > and unrequested windows?

    It essentially boils down to the triggering event. Such events as
    window.onload do not qualify as "requests", whereas most .onclick events do.
    I am not in possession of a comprehensive list.

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Nov 26, 2003
  10. Ed

    Ed Guest

    What exactly does ad blockers do anyway? What particular Javascript code is
    it looking for and filtering?

    Ed, Nov 29, 2003