No more Python support in NetBeans 7.0

Markus

I read it too.
I always preferred Netbeans + their Python plugin over Eclipse and
PyDev.

Perhaps I have another look for working with Aptana + PyDev for my web
development stuff, but I am afraid this enviroment (and the base,
Eclipse as it's main reason) is as user unfriendly as it always was.
But long years there was no other choice than Eclipse - Netbeans wasnt
the IDE it is now - and so the people started to build plugins for
Eclipse even being aware of its shortcomings.

I think I check out Activestates Komodo IDE.
I recognized that I use their free Komodo Edit more often lately and
liked the Editor already, perhaps the IDE will be a good choice.

I've seen right now, they put on the topic:
http://www.activestate.com/blog/2011/03/netbeans-drops-python-support-komodo-adds-more

Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

And if all fails, remember, there is always vim to fallback :)

Paul Rubin

Markus said:
Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

I saw somebody using Geany recently and it looked pretty impressive.
For Python gui debuggers, winpdb.org is great.

alister ware

I saw somebody using Geany recently and it looked pretty impressive. For
Python gui debuggers, winpdb.org is great.

I use Geany all the time & it is a good little editor.
nice & lightweight for my linux netbook, but still with the features i
need. I am sure a full IDE offers more but i never did get around to
finding out what.

bkuberek

Hi,

Sad news (for me, at least), in the upcoming version 7.0 of NetBeans
there will be no Python plugin anymore.

I have been using NetBeans for Python development for a while now
and I was very happy with it.

See this archive for details:
http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2010-11/message/0
http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2011-01/message/0

It is sad indeed. I would have preferred to use netbeans for all my coding and now I have to use both netbeans and a python IDE. I have been using PyCharm for a year now and I am very happy with it. It is the best I have usedfor python development with django, html, javascript and css support as well. I recommend trying it out.

However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.

Jetbrains IDEA Ultimate edition has both php and python support but is way out of my budget.

Chris Angelico

One of the many reasons Vim is my editor of choice.

Same here. My IDE needs are very simple. Give me an editor that lets
me manipulate multiple files at once, can one-key invoke make, and
preferably has syntax highlighting, and I'm happy. So for me, SciTE is
my editor and IDE.

ChrisA