No more Python support in NetBeans 7.0

Discussion in 'Python' started by Kees Bakker, Mar 24, 2011.

  1. Kees Bakker

    Kees Bakker Guest

    Kees Bakker, Mar 24, 2011

  2. Kees Bakker

    Markus Guest

    I read it too.
    I always preferred Netbeans + their Python plugin over Eclipse and
    PyDev.

    Perhaps I have another look for working with Aptana + PyDev for my web
    development stuff, but I am afraid this enviroment (and the base,
    Eclipse as it's main reason) is as user unfriendly as it always was.
    But long years there was no other choice than Eclipse - Netbeans wasnt
    the IDE it is now - and so the people started to build plugins for
    Eclipse even being aware of its shortcomings.

    I think I check out Activestates Komodo IDE.
    I recognized that I use their free Komodo Edit more often lately and
    liked the Editor already, perhaps the IDE will be a good choice.

    I've seen right now, they put on the topic:
    http://www.activestate.com/blog/2011/03/netbeans-drops-python-support-komodo-adds-more

    Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
    Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
    PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

    And if all fails, remember, there is always vim to fallback :)

    Markus, Apr 20, 2011

  3. Kees Bakker

    Paul Rubin Guest

    Markus <> writes:
    > Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
    > Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
    > PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

    I saw somebody using Geany recently and it looked pretty impressive.
    For Python gui debuggers, winpdb.org is great.
    Paul Rubin, Apr 20, 2011
  4. Kees Bakker

    alister ware Guest

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 03:24:00 -0700, Paul Rubin wrote:

    > Markus <> writes:
    >> Infoworld awarded it as best Python IDE, testing: Boa Constructor,
    >> Eric, ActiveState's Komodo, Oracle's NetBeans, Aptana's Pydev,
    >> PyScripter, SPE, Spyder, and WingWare's Wing IDE.

    > I saw somebody using Geany recently and it looked pretty impressive. For
    > Python gui debuggers, winpdb.org is great.

    I use Geany all the time & it is a good little editor.
    nice & lightweight for my linux netbook, but still with the features i
    need. I am sure a full IDE offers more but i never did get around to
    finding out what.

    --
    You fill a much-needed gap.
    alister ware, Apr 20, 2011
  5. Kees Bakker

    Guest

    On Wednesday, October 26, 2011 8:06:16 PM UTC-6, wrote:
    > Sorry to comment on an old topic, but I wanted to clarify for others like me who might get the wrong idea.
    >
    > It looks like this is no longer true. Netbeans 7 might be supporting python after all.
    >
    > http://wiki.netbeans.org/Python70Roadmap

    I checked the date on that document it's last update was 5 November 2009
    , Jul 16, 2012
  6. Kees Bakker

    Guest

    , Jul 16, 2012
  7. Kees Bakker

    Guest

    On Thursday, March 24, 2011 7:32:44 AM UTC-7, Kees Bakker wrote:

    > Sad news (for me, at least), in the upcoming version 7.0 of NetBeans
    > there will be no Python plugin anymore.

    FWIW on the Windows platform the Zeus IDE has support for python:

    http://www.zeusedit.com/python.html

    Zeus is a lightweight IDE but it does have limited Python debugger support:

    http://youtu.be/aXNep2fcSsk

    Jussi Jumppanen
    Author: Zeus Editor
    , Jul 17, 2012
  8. Kees Bakker

    Guest

    On Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:32:44 AM UTC-4, Kees Bakker wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sad news (for me, at least), in the upcoming version 7.0 of NetBeans
    > there will be no Python plugin anymore.
    >
    > I have been using NetBeans for Python development for a while now
    > and I was very happy with it.
    >
    > See this archive for details:
    > http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2010-11/message/0
    > http://netbeans.org/projects/www/lists/nbpython-dev/archive/2011-01/message/0
    > --
    > Kees

    It is sad indeed. I would have preferred to use netbeans for all my coding and now I have to use both netbeans and a python IDE. I have been using PyCharm for a year now and I am very happy with it. It is the best I have usedfor python development with django, html, javascript and css support as well. I recommend trying it out.

    However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.

    Jetbrains IDEA Ultimate edition has both php and python support but is way out of my budget.
    , Nov 5, 2012
  9. On 2012-11-04, at 4:45 PM, wrote:
    > However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.

    One of the many reasons Vim is my editor of choice.

    Demian Brecht
    @demianbrecht
    http://demianbrecht.github.com
    Demian Brecht, Nov 5, 2012
  10. On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 5:29 PM, Demian Brecht <> wrote:

    > On 2012-11-04, at 4:45 PM, wrote:
    >> However I am not happy about having to use different IDEs as I find myself coding in both python and php from project to project.

    > One of the many reasons Vim is my editor of choice.

    Same here. My IDE needs are very simple. Give me an editor that lets
    me manipulate multiple files at once, can one-key invoke make, and
    preferably has syntax highlighting, and I'm happy. So for me, SciTE is
    my editor and IDE.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Nov 5, 2012