    number of users currently logged on, and can I get any details about them ?

    Thanks,
    PW
    PW, May 27, 2006

  2. "PW" <> wrote in message
    news:%23e$...

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm hosting a couple of ASP applications on my server. How can I tell the
    > number of users currently logged on, and can I get any details about them
    > ?

    Depends on how you authenticate. Do you have them anonymously access the
    site? Or do you use a database login? Or do you use clear text
    authentication?

    Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\), May 27, 2006

    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2491
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 27, 2006
  4. PW

    vicky Guest

    Hi,

    You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
    variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get user's
    session id and check for it when the page is called, if its different
    then increment the variable's value. then you can keep that value in a
    text file or in database.

    Its so simple. right :)
    vicky, May 27, 2006
  5. vicky wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
    > variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get user's
    > session id and check for it when the page is called, if its different
    > then increment the variable's value. then you can keep that value in a
    > text file or in database.
    >
    > Its so simple. right :)

    wrong

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 27, 2006
  6. Bob Barrows [MVP] wrote:
    > vicky wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> You can keep track of your users by creating an application level
    >> variable and incrementing it whenever a user calls the page.Get
    >> user's session id and check for it when the page is called, if its
    >> different then increment the variable's value. then you can keep
    >> that value in a text file or in database.
    >>
    >> Its so simple. right :)

    > wrong

    Oops, forgot to add the smiley
    :)

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows [MVP], May 27, 2006
  7. PW

    vicky Guest

    Hi Bob,

    Can you tell me why is it wrong???

    Vicky

    :)
    vicky, May 29, 2006
  8. vicky wrote:
    > Can you tell me why is it wrong???

    Because sessions are stateless.

    Since they are stateless, you have no idea when a user leaves the site, so
    there is no realistic way to ACCURATELY measure the number of users
    "currently logged in".

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, May 29, 2006
  9. vicky wrote:
    > Hi Bob,
    >
    > Can you tell me why is it wrong???
    >
    > Vicky
    >
    > :)

    The article I cited in my first reply explains it. Dave did it in fewer
    words, but that's the point that makes it harder than simply storing the
    data in application.

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"