No pop-up but how about a pop quiz? (OT)

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Bone Ur, Dec 17, 2007.

  1. Bone Ur

    Bone Ur Guest

    Okay, I know this has nothing to do with html, but I just can't resist
    asking it here.

    The following question assumes that the laws, theories, hypotheses, et al
    of physics as we currently know them are correct and accurately understood.
    There is no subliminal "trick" or obfuscation (-love that word) involved in
    attaining the right answer.

    It is far, far in the future, and I am very, very rich. I've just
    purchased the latest and greatest spaceship ever made. It goes faster than
    anything preceding it. Not quite the speed of light, of course, for that
    is impossible, but the difference between C and the ship's top speed is
    almost nothing.

    For my maiden voyage, I've decided to take my non-maiden girlfriend to the
    Alpha Centauri Sybaris. The distance from Earth hasn't changed much since
    the bonehead days of the 21st century, and for purposes of the question
    (only), acceleration is stipulated to occur virtually instantly and will
    not crush the crew or cause abnormal effects with regard to the conditions
    of the scenario.

    The question is: How long (my time) will it take me to reach my
    destination?

    (a) 5 minutes
    (b) 4.3 years
    (c) 4.3 years plus a reasonably significant additional amount of time
    (d) 8.6 years or more
    (e) It can't be determined closely without a very precise accounting of
    velocity throughout the trip

    Times are not perfectly exact, and the closest answer gets the cigar.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.

    Bone Ur, Dec 17, 2007

  2. Bone Ur

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A0992EDCE665boneurhyphe@85.214.90.236>,
    Bone Ur <> wrote:

    > Okay, I know this has nothing to do with html, but I just can't resist
    > asking it here.

    You have a real cheek considering you did not solve the desert
    problem*!

    ------------------
    * Which, btw, was correctly answered by another member of this
    group.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Dec 17, 2007

  3. Bone Ur

    rf Guest

    "Bone Ur" <> wrote in message
    > Okay, I know this has nothing to do with html, but I just can't resist
    > asking it here.
    >
    > The following question assumes that the laws, theories, hypotheses, et al
    > of physics as we currently know them are correct and accurately
    > understood.
    > There is no subliminal "trick" or obfuscation (-love that word) involved
    > in
    > attaining the right answer.
    >
    > It is far, far in the future, and I am very, very rich. I've just
    > purchased the latest and greatest spaceship ever made. It goes faster
    > than
    > anything preceding it. Not quite the speed of light, of course, for that
    > is impossible, but the difference between C and the ship's top speed is
    > almost nothing.
    >
    > For my maiden voyage, I've decided to take my non-maiden girlfriend to the
    > Alpha Centauri Sybaris. The distance from Earth hasn't changed much since
    > the bonehead days of the 21st century, and for purposes of the question
    > (only), acceleration is stipulated to occur virtually instantly and will
    > not crush the crew or cause abnormal effects with regard to the conditions
    > of the scenario.
    >
    > The question is: How long (my time) will it take me to reach my
    > destination?

    (a) 5 minutes of course. Less if you use a suitable wormhole.
    There is one just over there ---> in that other thread.

    rf, Dec 17, 2007
  4. Bone Ur

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:18:35 GMT, "rf" <> wrote:

    >"Bone Ur" <> wrote in message
    >> Okay, I know this has nothing to do with html, but I just can't resist
    >> asking it here.
    >>
    >> The following question assumes that the laws, theories, hypotheses, et al
    >> of physics as we currently know them are correct and accurately
    >> understood.
    >> There is no subliminal "trick" or obfuscation (-love that word) involved
    >> in
    >> attaining the right answer.
    >>
    >> It is far, far in the future, and I am very, very rich. I've just
    >> purchased the latest and greatest spaceship ever made. It goes faster
    >> than
    >> anything preceding it. Not quite the speed of light, of course, for that
    >> is impossible, but the difference between C and the ship's top speed is
    >> almost nothing.
    >>
    >> For my maiden voyage, I've decided to take my non-maiden girlfriend to the
    >> Alpha Centauri Sybaris. The distance from Earth hasn't changed much since
    >> the bonehead days of the 21st century, and for purposes of the question
    >> (only), acceleration is stipulated to occur virtually instantly and will
    >> not crush the crew or cause abnormal effects with regard to the conditions
    >> of the scenario.
    >>
    >> The question is: How long (my time) will it take me to reach my
    >> destination?

    >(a) 5 minutes of course. Less if you use a suitable wormhole.
    >There is one just over there ---> in that other thread.

    Hell, I did it last week in less than 2 minutes. As a graduate of MIT
    (Mantovarian Interstellar Technologies) I was able to tweak the ship a
    tad.

    richard, Dec 18, 2007
  5. Bone Ur

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Mon, 17 Dec 2007 23:18:35
    GMT rf scribed:

    >> The question is: How long (my time) will it take me to reach my
    >> destination?

    > (a) 5 minutes of course. Less if you use a suitable wormhole.
    > There is one just over there ---> in that other thread.

    Yep, you got it. And essentially, it _is_ a way to beat the speed of light
    if you're not too fussy about definitions.

    Bone Ur, Dec 19, 2007