No prompt to save password

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rob Nicholson, Apr 16, 2008.

  1. I've managed to write an ASP.NET v2 web page where the prompt to save the
    password doesn't appear :-( Not sure why it's not working. Autocomplete on
    the text boxes is working but when you enter username, password (text box
    with type = password) and click the login link button, IE doesn't popup "Do
    you want to save this password?".

    The setting is turned on in IE7 as I've just cleared all my forms and
    passwords and gone to a couple of web sites where I have to login, and I'm
    getting prompted for my password.

    This is a new login page - the old one is still in the application and that
    is working as expected, i.e. it asks to save password and next logon, the
    password is filled in automatically.

    On the working form, there is a single text box for username and password
    textbox for password.

    On the non-working form, there's these two plus several other textboxes and
    buttons.

    I wonder if this makes any difference?

    Does anyone know *how* the IE mechanism works to determine whether the
    prompt should appear?

    Cheers, Rob.
    Rob Nicholson, Apr 16, 2008

  2. > On the non-working form, there's these two plus several other textboxes
    > and buttons.
    >
    > I wonder if this makes any difference?

    It certainly does. Taking off the other text boxes so there's just two on
    there works - it also needs a button, not a linkbutton to work as well. The
    logic must be something like:

    IF one normal textbox AND one password textbox AND user click on a button
    THEN
    Prompt to save password and link the value in the textbox as the
    username and the other one as the password
    ENDIF

    So either I move the login logic off onto it's own screen or do something
    with cookies to save the username.

    Cheers, Rob.
    Rob Nicholson, Apr 16, 2008