no really smart controls in asp.net v2 ? (out-of-band communication)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by RS, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. RS

    RS Guest

    Hi,

    I have just read the new functionality list in ASP.Net v2 : I have
    been very disappointed to not see any real support for out-of-band
    communication between the client and the server. Nothing for creating
    efficient interface à la gmail easily. True, there is something like
    ICallbackEventHandler but the communication with the server is very
    poor.

    It seems there is still no easy way to update the client controls
    without this good old postback and full page refresh. However, the
    technology seems to exist at Microsoft : the WUS (Windows Update
    Service) administration page is very impressive and updates without
    any postback.

    Am I missing something about asp.net v2 ? Is anyone aware of a
    framework that helps creating web pages à la gmail/wus ?

    thanks

    Sooly

    RS, Feb 24, 2005

  2. Yeah, I was looking this over too.

    What exactly would you want?

    Jon Paugh

    Secret Squirrel, Feb 24, 2005

  3. RS

    RS Guest

    "Secret Squirrel" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Yeah, I was looking this over too.
    >
    > What exactly would you want?
    >
    > Jon Paugh

    A framework that would have allowed :
    - to keep the update processing in the server for browser independance
    (no javascript)
    - to take care of sending to the client the updates done on the page
    out-of-band.

    ideally, the framework would have used the postback strategy for
    clients not supporting this technology (ie not supporting
    DHTML+XmlDocument loading/posting)

    The idea :
    1) server sends to the client an html page as asp.net does it
    currently.
    2) user clicks on a button for updating a label. The event is sent
    back out of band to the server
    3) the usual button_onclick method is called, all modifications done
    to the page are stored and send back to the client
    4) the client applies the modifications

    That does not seem to be so hard :)

    RS, Feb 25, 2005