No scrollbar?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Joe Cosby, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Joe Cosby

    Joe Cosby Guest

    Viewing this page in IE:

    http://fmreports.safeshopper.com/temp5.htm

    The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the page as a whole is
    down to about 790 pixels (about 753 pixels for the interior window).
    In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.

    If you play with it a little you can see that it cuts off a lot of
    text on the right side of the page that way.

    I -think- that it is because of all the absolute widths used in the
    table elements etc. in the page, but I'm not sure (I didn't write the
    page, I know absolute dimensions are a bad idea).

    Does anybody else see anything else in there? I am hoping it isn't
    the absolute positioning ... as that would mean I have to redesign the
    page, which will be a lot of work without breaking the existing layout

    Thanks for any help.

    --
    Joe Cosby
    http://joecosby.com/

    Joe Cosby, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Joe Cosby wrote:
    > Viewing this page in IE:
    >
    > http://fmreports.safeshopper.com/temp5.htm
    >
    > The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the page as a whole is
    > down to about 790 pixels (about 753 pixels for the interior window).
    > In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.

    * on line 251, you have one too many double quotes at the end of the line.
    (this is not related to the problem you mention).
    * your problem relates to the way you way layed out the site with tables.

    You will notice that on line 250, you are telling the table to be left
    alligned. But the table next to that one, is 100% wide. This is the cause
    of your problem.

    .... to fix it, do this...

    on line 248, (in between the two tables) but this in

    then on line 257, in between the two tables put this </td><td>

    then on line 370 in between the </table> and the <p> put this

    Disco Octopus, Jun 11, 2004

  3. Joe Cosby wrote:

    > In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.

    get rid of the overflow: auto; to fix the prob in opera

    Disco Octopus, Jun 11, 2004
  4. Joe Cosby

    Joe Cosby Guest

    On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:14:31 GMT, "Disco Octopus"
    <> wrote:

    >Joe Cosby wrote:
    >> Viewing this page in IE:
    >>
    >> http://fmreports.safeshopper.com/temp5.htm
    >>
    >> The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the page as a whole is
    >> down to about 790 pixels (about 753 pixels for the interior window).
    >> In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.
    >>

    >* on line 251, you have one too many double quotes at the end of the line.
    >(this is not related to the problem you mention).
    >* your problem relates to the way you way layed out the site with tables.
    >
    >You will notice that on line 250, you are telling the table to be left
    >alligned. But the table next to that one, is 100% wide. This is the cause
    >of your problem.
    >
    >... to fix it, do this...
    >
    > on line 248, (in between the two tables) but this in
    >

    >then on line 257, in between the two tables put this </td><td>
    >

    >then on line 370 in between the </table> and the <p> put this

    Ah thanks very much for the help. I didn't even see all that mess
    around line ~ 250 ... I inherited this code ...

    I'm just wondering, how did you detect the errors, did you use some
    kind of validator?

    --
    Joe Cosby
    http://joecosby.com/

    Joe Cosby, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Joe Cosby wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Jun 2004 00:14:31 GMT, "Disco Octopus"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Joe Cosby wrote:
    >>> Viewing this page in IE:
    >>>
    >>> The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the page as a whole
    >>> is down to about 790 pixels (about 753 pixels for the interior
    >>> window).
    >>> In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.
    >>>

    >> * on line 251, you have one too many double quotes at the end of the
    >> line. (this is not related to the problem you mention).
    >> * your problem relates to the way you way layed out the site with
    >> tables.

    > Ah thanks very much for the help. I didn't even see all that mess
    > around line ~ 250 ... I inherited this code ...
    >
    > I'm just wondering, how did you detect the errors, did you use some
    > kind of validator?

    No. I looked in TextPad which lets me easily highlight when things are
    within quotes. It also lets me easily nest nest blocks of code.

    Disco Octopus, Jun 11, 2004