No scrollbar?

Joe Cosby

Viewing this page in IE:

http://fmreports.safeshopper.com/temp5.htm

The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the page as a whole is
down to about 790 pixels (about 753 pixels for the interior window).
In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.

If you play with it a little you can see that it cuts off a lot of
text on the right side of the page that way.

I -think- that it is because of all the absolute widths used in the
table elements etc. in the page, but I'm not sure (I didn't write the
page, I know absolute dimensions are a bad idea).

Does anybody else see anything else in there? I am hoping it isn't
the absolute positioning ... as that would mean I have to redesign the
page, which will be a lot of work without breaking the existing layout

Thanks for any help.

Disco Octopus

Joe said:
Viewing this page in IE:

http://fmreports.safeshopper.com/temp5.htm

The horizontal scroll bar doesn't appear until the page as a whole is
down to about 790 pixels (about 753 pixels for the interior window).
In Opera the horizontal scroll bar never appears.

* on line 251, you have one too many double quotes at the end of the line.
(this is not related to the problem you mention).
* your problem relates to the way you way layed out the site with tables.

You will notice that on line 250, you are telling the table to be left
alligned. But the table next to that one, is 100% wide. This is the cause
of your problem.

.... to fix it, do this...

on line 248, (in between the two tables) but this in

then on line 257, in between the two tables put this </td><td>

then on line 370 in between the </table> and the <p> put this

Joe Cosby

* on line 251, you have one too many double quotes at the end of the line.
(this is not related to the problem you mention).
* your problem relates to the way you way layed out the site with tables.

You will notice that on line 250, you are telling the table to be left
alligned. But the table next to that one, is 100% wide. This is the cause
of your problem.

... to fix it, do this...

on line 248, (in between the two tables) but this in

then on line 257, in between the two tables put this </td><td>

then on line 370 in between the </table> and the <p> put this

Ah thanks very much for the help. I didn't even see all that mess
around line ~ 250 ... I inherited this code ...

I'm just wondering, how did you detect the errors, did you use some
kind of validator?

Disco Octopus

Joe said:
Ah thanks very much for the help. I didn't even see all that mess
around line ~ 250 ... I inherited this code ...

I'm just wondering, how did you detect the errors, did you use some
kind of validator?

No. I looked in TextPad which lets me easily highlight when things are
within quotes. It also lets me easily nest nest blocks of code.