    thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't seem
    to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or do you
    need to position several elements in specific ways?
    Slick50, Dec 18, 2006

  2. Slick50 wrote:
    > http://messiah.scojul.homedns.org
    >
    > Hi. I've noticed sites that do not offer scrollbars when the window is
    > resized smaller than the content. I'd like to use that feature too. I
    > thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't seem
    > to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or do you
    > need to position several elements in specific ways?

    So let me get this straight, you want to design your page so the width
    is fixed and if the window is smaller your content will just be
    inaccessible to the visitor?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2006

  3. Slick50

    Slick50 Guest

    You're right, I see now that is a stupid idea.

    I think what I meant is how do I keep my content from wrapping? Scroll is
    OK.

    Slick50, Dec 18, 2006
  4. Slick50 wrote:
    > You're right, I see now that is a stupid idea.
    >
    > I think what I meant is how do I keep my content from wrapping? Scroll is
    > OK.

    I'd say wraps better, keep the content visible and before the visitor.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 18, 2006
  5. Slick50

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Slick50 wrote:
    > "Slick50" <> wrote in message
    >> http://messiah.scojul.homedns.org
    >>
    >> Hi. I've noticed sites that do not offer scrollbars when the window is
    >> resized smaller than the content. I'd like to use that feature too. I
    >> thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't
    >> seem to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or
    >> do you need to position several elements in specific ways?

    > You're right, I see now that is a stupid idea.
    >
    > I think what I meant is how do I keep my content from wrapping?

    Scroll >is OK.

    Now I'm confused. If I resize my browser to a small(er) size you now
    are saying you do /not/ want either scroll bars OR word wrap? How am I
    supposed to read your site?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Dec 18, 2006
  6. Slick50

    Slick50 Guest

    I'm sorry, I misspoke in my initial post.

    I want to prevent my content from wrapping. Scrolling is OK. Do I have to
    make each column a fixed width (in px?), or can i set this somehow on the
    body element?

    Slick50, Dec 18, 2006
  7. Slick50 wrote:
    > I'm sorry, I misspoke in my initial post.
    >
    > I want to prevent my content from wrapping. Scrolling is OK. Do I have to
    > make each column a fixed width (in px?), or can i set this somehow on the
    > body element?

    And this better because...?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 19, 2006
  8. Slick50

    Slick50 Guest

    I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how to do
    different things.

    When I resize the window, my horizontal list spills over into a new line
    which looks bad to me. If you are willing to explain the right technique
    here, I'm all ears. Reduce the font size? Less list items? Neither of those
    seem like the right thing to do in this case.

    Slick50, Dec 19, 2006
  9. Slick50

    dorayme Guest

    In article <dMHhh.7873$>,
    "Slick50" <> wrote:

    > I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how to do
    > different things.
    >
    > When I resize the window, my horizontal list spills over into a new line
    > which looks bad to me. If you are willing to explain the right technique
    > here, I'm all ears. Reduce the font size? Less list items? Neither of those
    > seem like the right thing to do in this case.

    You have two main choices, between fixing it so that

    (1) People have to scroll sideways to look at your list. They get
    to see only some of the list when they could be seeing the lot.

    or

    (2) The functional one, users don't have to scroll sideways, they
    don't have to stare at half a list (how good a look is that?).

    By selecting the right css, with sufficient padding and margins
    etc, it is not so bad a look when these things wrap. I do
    understand your concerns but you can console yourself with the
    not too fanciful idea that most people will be viewing on 800px
    wide or more and all will be fine, just a few will see it
    wrapped, you are doing them a favour.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 19, 2006
  10. Slick50

    Neredbojias Guest

    To further the education of mankind, "Slick50" <>
    vouchsafed:

    > I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how
    > to do different things.

    The css style for preventing words from wrapping is:

    white-space:nowrap;

    'Natch, there could be problems if the line-length exceeds the container
    width. One solution is to set:

    overflow:hidden;

    ....on the container, but then the user wouldn't see the excess.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Infinity has its limits.
    Neredbojias, Dec 19, 2006
  11. Slick50

    Slick50 Guest

    haha, got a good chuckle out of this one :D

    Slick50, Dec 20, 2006
  12. Slick50 wrote:
    > haha, got a good chuckle out of this one :D

    Wish you would stop top posting! Which one are you referring to, dorayme
    listed two points...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 20, 2006
  13. Slick50

    dorayme Guest

    In article <nu%hh.7867$>,
    "Slick50" <> wrote:

    > haha, got a good chuckle out of this one :D
    >

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <dMHhh.7873$>,
    > > "Slick50" <> wrote:
    > >
    > >> I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how to
    > >> do
    > >> different things.
    > >>
    > >> When I resize the window, my horizontal list spills over into a new line
    > >> which looks bad to me. If you are willing to explain the right technique
    > >> here, I'm all ears. Reduce the font size? Less list items? Neither of
    > >> those
    > >> seem like the right thing to do in this case.

    > > You have two main choices, between fixing it so that
    > >
    > > (1) People have to scroll sideways to look at your list. They get
    > > to see only some of the list when they could be seeing the lot.
    > >
    > > or
    > >
    > > (2) The functional one, users don't have to scroll sideways, they
    > > don't have to stare at half a list (how good a look is that?).
    > >
    > > By selecting the right css, with sufficient padding and margins
    > > etc, it is not so bad a look when these things wrap. I do
    > > understand your concerns but you can console yourself with the
    > > not too fanciful idea that most people will be viewing on 800px
    > > wide or more and all will be fine, just a few will see it
    > > wrapped, you are doing them a favour.

    Which part of it did you find the funniest?

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 20, 2006
  14. Slick50

    Slick50 Guest

    What struck me as funny was "you are doing them a favour". This seems like a
    humorous way to *encourage* people to increase their resolution. I thought
    it was meant to be a little funny...maybe I was wrong. Sorry if I was.

    Slick50, Dec 20, 2006
  15. Slick50 wrote:
    > What struck me as funny was "you are doing them a favour". This seems like a
    > humorous way to *encourage* people to increase their resolution. I thought
    > it was meant to be a little funny...maybe I was wrong. Sorry if I was.
    >

    > "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <nu%hh.7867$>,

    <snip>

    Would have been clearer if you had put your remarks *here* after the bit
    you thought was funny.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Dec 20, 2006
  16. Slick50

    dorayme Guest

    In article <8_%hh.8076$>,
    "Slick50" <> wrote:

    > What struck me as funny was "you are doing them a favour". This seems like a
    > humorous way to *encourage* people to increase their resolution. I thought
    > it was meant to be a little funny...maybe I was wrong. Sorry if I was.

    As JL said, please don't top post. I see what you are saying. I
    was not actually meaning to be funny though (When I am, you will
    know it by an irresistable tendency to get on the floor on your
    back, your legs in the air, your arms waving about in paroxysms
    of helpless laughter. Seriously.)

    The point was simple. The relatively few people who will see your
    list wrapped will be well served by you, the majority will see
    your beautiful intended design.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 20, 2006
  17. Slick50

    Slick50 Guest

    > Wish you would stop top posting!

    I get the point now. Sorry, will try to clean up my act.
    Slick50, Dec 20, 2006
  18. Slick50

    Vince Morgan Guest

    "Slick50" <> wrote in message
    > http://messiah.scojul.homedns.org
    >
    > Hi. I've noticed sites that do not offer scrollbars when the window is
    > resized smaller than the content. I'd like to use that feature too. I
    > thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't

    seem
    > to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or do

    you
    > need to position several elements in specific ways?

    And, just in case you do decide that you are the best judge of what your
    site should look like, you could look at "css min-width". If you wrap
    everything in a div with a minimum width, that width is the point at which
    the scroll-bar will appear.
    You will need a hack for IE though. However, I beleive from what I've read
    on here recently that IE7 supports the normal min-width now, rather than the
    'expressions' method.
    HTH
    Vince Morgan
    Vince Morgan, Dec 21, 2006