No Scrolling

Slick50

http://messiah.scojul.homedns.org

Hi. I've noticed sites that do not offer scrollbars when the window is
resized smaller than the content. I'd like to use that feature too. I
thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't seem
to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or do you
need to position several elements in specific ways?

Jonathan N. Little

Slick50 said:
http://messiah.scojul.homedns.org

Hi. I've noticed sites that do not offer scrollbars when the window is
resized smaller than the content. I'd like to use that feature too. I
thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't seem
to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or do you
need to position several elements in specific ways?

So let me get this straight, you want to design your page so the width
is fixed and if the window is smaller your content will just be
inaccessible to the visitor?

Slick50

You're right, I see now that is a stupid idea.

I think what I meant is how do I keep my content from wrapping? Scroll is
OK.

Jonathan N. Little

Slick50 said:
You're right, I see now that is a stupid idea.

I think what I meant is how do I keep my content from wrapping? Scroll is
OK.

I'd say wraps better, keep the content visible and before the visitor.

Ed Mullen

Slick50 said:
> You're right, I see now that is a stupid idea.
>
> I think what I meant is how do I keep my content from wrapping? Scroll >is OK.

Now I'm confused. If I resize my browser to a small(er) size you now
are saying you do /not/ want either scroll bars OR word wrap? How am I
supposed to read your site?

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Slick50

I'm sorry, I misspoke in my initial post.

I want to prevent my content from wrapping. Scrolling is OK. Do I have to
make each column a fixed width (in px?), or can i set this somehow on the
body element?

Jonathan N. Little

Slick50 said:
I'm sorry, I misspoke in my initial post.

I want to prevent my content from wrapping. Scrolling is OK. Do I have to
make each column a fixed width (in px?), or can i set this somehow on the
body element?

And this better because...?

Slick50

I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how to do
different things.

When I resize the window, my horizontal list spills over into a new line
which looks bad to me. If you are willing to explain the right technique
here, I'm all ears. Reduce the font size? Less list items? Neither of those
seem like the right thing to do in this case.

dorayme

"Slick50 said:
I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how to do
different things.

When I resize the window, my horizontal list spills over into a new line
which looks bad to me. If you are willing to explain the right technique
here, I'm all ears. Reduce the font size? Less list items? Neither of those
seem like the right thing to do in this case.

You have two main choices, between fixing it so that

(1) People have to scroll sideways to look at your list. They get
to see only some of the list when they could be seeing the lot.

or

(2) The functional one, users don't have to scroll sideways, they
don't have to stare at half a list (how good a look is that?).

By selecting the right css, with sufficient padding and margins
etc, it is not so bad a look when these things wrap. I do
understand your concerns but you can console yourself with the
not too fanciful idea that most people will be viewing on 800px
wide or more and all will be fine, just a few will see it
wrapped, you are doing them a favour.

Neredbojias

I don't mean to imply that it is better. I am just trying to learn how
to do different things.

The css style for preventing words from wrapping is:

white-space:nowrap;

'Natch, there could be problems if the line-length exceeds the container
width. One solution is to set:

overflow:hidden;

....on the container, but then the user wouldn't see the excess.

Slick50

haha, got a good chuckle out of this one :D

Slick50 said:
haha, got a good chuckle out of this one :D

Wish you would stop top posting! Which one are you referring to, dorayme
listed two points...

Slick50

What struck me as funny was "you are doing them a favour". This seems like a
humorous way to *encourage* people to increase their resolution. I thought
it was meant to be a little funny...maybe I was wrong. Sorry if I was.

Jonathan N. Little

Slick50 said:
What struck me as funny was "you are doing them a favour". This seems like a
humorous way to *encourage* people to increase their resolution. I thought
it was meant to be a little funny...maybe I was wrong. Sorry if I was.

Would have been clearer if you had put your remarks *here* after the bit
you thought was funny.

dorayme

"Slick50 said:
What struck me as funny was "you are doing them a favour". This seems like a
humorous way to *encourage* people to increase their resolution. I thought
it was meant to be a little funny...maybe I was wrong. Sorry if I was.

As JL said, please don't top post. I see what you are saying. I
was not actually meaning to be funny though (When I am, you will
know it by an irresistable tendency to get on the floor on your
back, your legs in the air, your arms waving about in paroxysms
of helpless laughter. Seriously.)

The point was simple. The relatively few people who will see your
list wrapped will be well served by you, the majority will see
your beautiful intended design.

Slick50

Wish you would stop top posting!

I get the point now. Sorry, will try to clean up my act.

Vince Morgan

Slick50 said:
http://messiah.scojul.homedns.org

Hi. I've noticed sites that do not offer scrollbars when the window is
resized smaller than the content. I'd like to use that feature too. I
thought I could position: absolute; the body element, but that doesn't seem
to have any effect. Is there a simple, one-element way to do this, or do you
need to position several elements in specific ways?
And, just in case you do decide that you are the best judge of what your
site should look like, you could look at "css min-width". If you wrap
everything in a div with a minimum width, that width is the point at which
the scroll-bar will appear.
You will need a hack for IE though. However, I beleive from what I've read
on here recently that IE7 supports the normal min-width now, rather than the
'expressions' method.
HTH
Vince Morgan