No such method error, only in IE 5.2 Mac OS X

Discussion in 'Java' started by Gerrit Hulleman, Jul 19, 2004.

  1. Something very strange: I get this error only using IE 5.2 under mac os x.

    The code used:
    1. String version = System.getProperty("java.version");
    2. String splitRegex = "";
    3. if (dfs.getDecimalSeparator()== '.')
    4. splitRegex = "\\.";
    5. else
    6. splitRegex += dfs.getDecimalSeparator();
    7. String[] versionInfo = version.split(splitRegex);

    This works under Opera 7.50, IE6.0, netscape 7.1 under windows XP and safari
    under Mac OS X. But when IE5.2 Mac OS X tries to load it, it hangs over line
    3 and gives the nosuchmethoderror. When trying to replace lines 3..6 with
    only line 4, line 7 gives the nosuchmethoderror. Has IE5.2 for Mac OS X got
    all his lightbulbs screwed in right?

    I know that the seperator in the java version is always a decimal point.
    Result of a post a few days back. Didn't get around to fix that.

    Gerrit Hulleman

    Gerrit Hulleman, Jul 19, 2004

  2. Found it. Seems that IE5.2 uses the 1.3.1 SDK, and split / replace all is
    not yet supported in those SDK's.

    Gerrit Hulleman, Jul 19, 2004

  3. On Mon, 19 Jul 2004 13:59:47 +0200, Gerrit Hulleman wrote:

    (Java on Mac)
    > Found it. Seems that IE5.2 uses the 1.3.1 SDK, and split / replace all is
    > not yet supported in those SDK's.

    Mac and 1.4 are not a happy mix apparently,

    The developer needs to do special things on the
    Mac system to coerce it into using Java 1.4,
    rather than default to 1.3.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 19, 2004