No suggestions why ActiveX control on a aspx page won't D/L on XP?

Joe

I posted a question on 6/27 that I have an activex control which works fine
in Win2k but doesn't work for XP.

The activex control displays a progress bar, downloads a setup.msi file and
runs the installation.

On XP, the activex doesn't even download. No errors, security settings the
same on XP and Win2k (both pro versions) both running IE6.0 w/SP1.

Trevor Benedict R

I read your earlier post but did not reply. I do not have a direct
answer to your question. Once we had a similar issue, wherein the
ActiveX controls were not downloading on Windows 2000 machines. The
problem was that the other accounts did not have permissions to install
anything. So we login using a local administrator account and then
install the default setup. But since ours was a closed enviornment, we
had control over what was happening.

You can download regmon & Filemon from http://www.sysinternals.com and
see if there are any permissions issues on the XP machine

You should also disable the Show Friendly HTTP Error Messages and enable
"Display a Notification about every Script Error" in IE

If you are using a Window.Open without the Status Bar, you might be
missing the Error.

Since you said that you were using MSI, make sure that the Installer
Update has been installed.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
MCSD

Joe

Thanks. I forgot about Filemon...

It turns out the dll does get downloaded but then it is deleted.

I wonder what would cause it to delete the dll after it downloads it.

Joe

Found the problem!!!

The activex control was looking for 2 DLL's. I changed the build options for
the control to make it a standalone and now it works. :)

Thanks all!