"No symbol" error using pystack gdb macro

Discussion in 'Python' started by debby@josesmex.com, Mar 1, 2013.

  1. Guest

    I'm relatively new to Python, running Python 3.3 on FreeBSD

    I have a process which has started to spike CPU usage. I'm trying to find out what it's doing.

    I tried the "pystack" macro suggested here:

    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...om-a-running-python-application/147114#147114

    I got the gdbinit macro from:

    http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Misc/gdbinit

    When I attach gdb, it tells me it is loading symbols from python3.3m

    However when I run pystack I get:

    No symbol "PyStringObject" in current context.

    Do I need an updated version of the gdb macro for Python3.3?
    , Mar 1, 2013

  2. dieter Guest

    writes:

    > I'm relatively new to Python, running Python 3.3 on FreeBSD
    >
    > I have a process which has started to spike CPU usage. I'm trying to find out what it's doing.
    >
    > I tried the "pystack" macro suggested here:
    >
    > http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...om-a-running-python-application/147114#147114
    >
    > I got the gdbinit macro from:
    >
    > http://svn.python.org/projects/python/trunk/Misc/gdbinit
    >
    > When I attach gdb, it tells me it is loading symbols from python3.3m
    >
    > However when I run pystack I get:
    >
    > No symbol "PyStringObject" in current context.
    >
    > Do I need an updated version of the gdb macro for Python3.3?

    Many system installed Python versions (all, I have seen so far)
    are "stripped", i.e. they lack debugging information.
    Such information is necessary in order to use the gdb macros
    effectively.

    I suggest you install and compile your Python yourself.
    Likely, the generated Python will have debugging symbols without
    (manual) intervention. If not, the installation instructions should
    tell you how to get a Python with debugging symbols.
    dieter, Mar 2, 2013