No syntax error msgs in the Browser

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Robin, Mar 22, 2006.

  1. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Hello!
    I am useing ASP scripts with PERL and IIS 6.0 (Internet Information
    Server). The scripts are useing the 'Response.Redirect "xxx.asp"' cmd.
    Beside this there is a form which calls another ASP script in the
    action part.
    My problem is that the Browser does not print out Syntax Errors of my
    script (for example a bracket is missing). Instead the very common
    message appears:

    HTTP 500 - Internal Servererror
    Internet Explorer

    With sripts which do not use the Redirect I have error messages with
    line numbers in the browser window.

    Is there a possibility to display Errors of my script if it uses
    Redirects and Forms?

    Beside this I am using a simple text editor without syntax
    highlighting. Does anybody know an editor or programming tool
    (freeware) which shows syntax errors in the combination of
    ASP/HTML/PERL in one script?
    Eclipse for example does only recognize Perl errors. But in my
    application the Perl code is embedded in the ASP code.

    Thank you

    Udo Schmitt

    Robin, Mar 22, 2006

  2. Robin

    Lee Carnell Guest

    > My problem is that the Browser does not print out Syntax Errors of my
    > script (for example a bracket is missing). Instead the very common
    > message appears:
    >
    > HTTP 500 - Internal Servererror
    > Internet Explorer
    >
    > With sripts which do not use the Redirect I have error messages with
    > line numbers in the browser window.
    >
    > Is there a possibility to display Errors of my script if it uses
    > Redirects and Forms?

    Turn off 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'

    In Internet Explorer:

    Tools >> Internet Options >> Advanced
    Uncheck 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'

    > Beside this I am using a simple text editor without syntax
    > highlighting. Does anybody know an editor or programming tool
    > (freeware) which shows syntax errors in the combination of
    > ASP/HTML/PERL in one script?
    > Eclipse for example does only recognize Perl errors. But in my
    > application the Perl code is embedded in the ASP code.

    Persoanally I use Textpad, it's not freeware but there is a trial
    version:

    http://www.textpad.com

    Cheers,

    Lee

    Lee Carnell, Mar 22, 2006

  3. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Thank you Lee,

    Lee Carnell schrieb:

    > Turn off 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'>
    > In Internet Explorer:
    >
    > Tools >> Internet Options >> Advanced
    > Uncheck 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'

    This is a good solution. But the script with the action part (of forms)
    returns immediately with no action (because of the error) and no error
    message will be printed out.

    > Persoanally I use Textpad, it's not freeware but there is a trial
    > version:
    >
    > http://www.textpad.com

    I will try it. Thank you very much for your help.

    Cheers,

    Udo

    Robin, Mar 22, 2006
  4. Robin

    Lee Carnell Guest

    Hi Udo

    > This is a good solution. But the script with the action part (of forms)
    > returns immediately with no action (because of the error) and no error
    > message will be printed out.

    Can you not simply take out the 'redirect' to test the page and introduce it
    once more once you have de-bugged?

    Lee

    Lee Carnell, Mar 22, 2006
  5. Robin

    Jeff Guest

    With the new host that I have. There was an option in the control panel that
    when unchecked, allowed the errors to be shown.
    Otherwise, I was getting the same thing.

    Hope that helps.

    Jeff, Mar 22, 2006
  6. Robin

    Robin Guest

    Hi Lee,

    > Can you not simply take out the 'redirect' to test the page and introduce it
    > once more once you have de-bugged?

    Redirect works. But forms have an action part. When this action script
    (e.g called after preesing a button) has an error, I cannot see the
    error.

    Oh yes! I can remove the redirects in the action script.

    Thanks

    Udo

    Robin, Mar 22, 2006
  7. read the 1st part