No syntax error msgs in the Browser

Robin

Hello!
I am useing ASP scripts with PERL and IIS 6.0 (Internet Information
Server). The scripts are useing the 'Response.Redirect "xxx.asp"' cmd.
Beside this there is a form which calls another ASP script in the
action part.
My problem is that the Browser does not print out Syntax Errors of my
script (for example a bracket is missing). Instead the very common
message appears:

HTTP 500 - Internal Servererror
Internet Explorer

With sripts which do not use the Redirect I have error messages with
line numbers in the browser window.

Is there a possibility to display Errors of my script if it uses
Redirects and Forms?

Beside this I am using a simple text editor without syntax
highlighting. Does anybody know an editor or programming tool
(freeware) which shows syntax errors in the combination of
ASP/HTML/PERL in one script?
Eclipse for example does only recognize Perl errors. But in my
application the Perl code is embedded in the ASP code.

Thank you

Udo Schmitt

Lee Carnell

My problem is that the Browser does not print out Syntax Errors of my
script (for example a bracket is missing). Instead the very common
message appears:

HTTP 500 - Internal Servererror
Internet Explorer

With sripts which do not use the Redirect I have error messages with
line numbers in the browser window.

Is there a possibility to display Errors of my script if it uses
Redirects and Forms?

Turn off 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'

In Internet Explorer:

Tools >> Internet Options >> Advanced
Uncheck 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'

Beside this I am using a simple text editor without syntax
highlighting. Does anybody know an editor or programming tool
(freeware) which shows syntax errors in the combination of
ASP/HTML/PERL in one script?
Eclipse for example does only recognize Perl errors. But in my
application the Perl code is embedded in the ASP code.

Persoanally I use Textpad, it's not freeware but there is a trial
version:

http://www.textpad.com

Cheers,

Lee

Robin

Thank you Lee,

Lee said:
Turn off 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'>
In Internet Explorer:

Tools >> Internet Options >> Advanced
Uncheck 'Show friendly HTTP error messages'

This is a good solution. But the script with the action part (of forms)
returns immediately with no action (because of the error) and no error
message will be printed out.
Persoanally I use Textpad, it's not freeware but there is a trial
version:

http://www.textpad.com

I will try it. Thank you very much for your help.

Cheers,

Udo

Lee Carnell

Hi Udo
This is a good solution. But the script with the action part (of forms)
returns immediately with no action (because of the error) and no error
message will be printed out.

Can you not simply take out the 'redirect' to test the page and introduce it
once more once you have de-bugged?

Lee

Jeff

With the new host that I have. There was an option in the control panel that
when unchecked, allowed the errors to be shown.
Otherwise, I was getting the same thing.

Hope that helps.

Robin

Hi Lee,
Can you not simply take out the 'redirect' to test the page and introduce it
once more once you have de-bugged?

Redirect works. But forms have an action part. When this action script
(e.g called after preesing a button) has an error, I cannot see the
error.

Oh yes! I can remove the redirects in the action script.

Thanks

Udo