no vfw://0 in JMF CaptureDeviceManager getDeviceList ?

jmfguy

Windows XP pro on an intel PIII IBM thinkpad
Java SDK 1.4.2_05-b04
JMF 2.1.1e

My usb webcam works perfectly with JMF, I used it in JMStudio however,
when I make this call

deviceListVector = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList( null );

my "audio capture device" is detected however, my usb webcam at
vfw://0 is not detected. To clarify, the audio capture device and the
USB cam are entirely seperate devices.

How can I properly detect the usb webcam, and its formats, from JMF?

[ SUBLIMINAL: Please support H264 in JMF ]

JScoobyCed

jmfguy said:
Windows XP pro on an intel PIII IBM thinkpad
Java SDK 1.4.2_05-b04
JMF 2.1.1e

My usb webcam works perfectly with JMF, I used it in JMStudio however,
when I make this call

deviceListVector = CaptureDeviceManager.getDeviceList( null );

my "audio capture device" is detected however, my usb webcam at
vfw://0 is not detected. To clarify, the audio capture device and the
USB cam are entirely seperate devices.

How can I properly detect the usb webcam, and its formats, from JMF?

[ SUBLIMINAL: Please support H264 in JMF ]

It sounds strange that you can't get the list of devices if the webcam
works in JMStudio. Have a look at the JMF tool (one of the three tools
in the jmf_folder/bin ). I don't remember the name, but it allow you to
see/edit/remove the devices (audio and video) registered by JMF). If you
see a vfw://x, then it should be found by your code provided you wrote
all the necessary pre-requisites. Have a look at the sample code from
the jmf part of the java.sun.com website. There is a sample with full
source code.
I suspect that the VideoFormat that you registered to query the device
list is not supported by your webcam (or does the NULL parameter is used
to find all devices ?... )