    about live production sites that are supposed to use this technology?
    Do I have to write my own interface to do everything the developer tool
    already does?

    cmay, Feb 9, 2006

  2. cmay

    cmay Guest

    In case anyone comes across this...

    Q: Can you use a version of the WSAT with a production website?
    A: No

    Q: Doesn't this mean that the Membership/Roles/Login stuff with ASP.NET
    2.0 is pretty much useless?
    A: Yes, unless you are going to create your own custom providers.

    What a waste.

    cmay, Feb 9, 2006

  3. cmay

    tdavisjr Guest

    I always wondered about this; but not had the chance to check this out.
    So, you mean after your site is deployed and lets say, you need to
    modify a role for a user, you can't do this remotely? So, in other
    words, you sill have to buid your own Admin section to manage your
    users? If so, wow. I never saw that coming after all the hype of 75%
    less code.

    tdavisjr, Feb 10, 2006
  4. cmay

    cmay Guest

    Exactly!

    Unless you can use visual studio as the front end to attach to the data
    store where you are keeping your users and roles, you can't do anything
    after you put your website into production (unless you write all the
    code to deal it).

    So I guess you can reuse some stuff like maybe the SPs that are
    generated and whatever, but in my case it would be faster for me to
    just code it from scratch than to figure out their SPs and schema.

    cmay, Feb 21, 2006
  6. cmay

    tdavisjr Guest

    After doing some research on this it seems like You can call into the
    Roles API and Membership API through code, so, if you need to be able
    to add, delete, or modify roles and users then you would have to create
    an admin section where you have to create the UI to perfom this
    functionality. Its the same way you would do it in 1.1, however, the
    only difference is that you don't have to write the database code to
    add a role, delete a role, add a user, delete a user, etc...all you
    have to do is use the Membership and Role API to do this.

    tdavisjr, Feb 21, 2006
  7. cmay

    drdexter33

    Joined:
    Jun 29, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    This is D-U-M-B!

    Wow.

    I can't believe it.

    I just was looking around for a way to deploy WSAT with my app to allow administration the ability to administer the access rights..

    Bizarre that MS didn't allow this tool to be deployed...I KNOW that our users are NOT going to edit the web.config file or open VS2005 to get to the dad-gummed WSAT..

    not good..

    guess I have to write another tool...

    any ideas?

    thanks.

    doug

    drdexter33, Jun 29, 2006
  8. cmay

    gunger

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Ummmm no no no no no

    Look, you will not find this answer anywhere on the internet or at least I didnt but here is your solution:

    On the production box in which you want to configure membership roles, users, etc goto:

    (Assumes .net 2.0 is setup which it needs to be)
    C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\ASP.NETWebAdminFiles

    or whatever your path is. That is the website used for the Website Administration of aspnet membership roles, etc.

    Setup a virtual directory or new website on your production server (assumes dedicated or virtual server but shared server would probably work if you have access to the path)

    Make sure it is setup as .net 2.0 site and is its own application

    Call the website and pass the applicationPhysicalPath on the QueryString to the root of your application (where the web.config is)

    http://localhost:81/<virtual site name>/default.aspx?applicationPhysicalPath=C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\MyWebSite\&applicationUrl=/

    Thats it... You can now configure your production sql server with new roles, etc.

    gunger, Jul 15, 2008