    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 8, 2008

  2. Neredbojias wrote:

    > It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle. It
    > isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:
    >
    > nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >
    > Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    > supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >
    > Thank you for your support.

    Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan Parry's
    last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2008

  3. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:25:22
    GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >
    >> It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle.
    >> It isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's
    >> simply:
    >>
    >> nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >>
    >> Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    >> supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your support.

    > Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan
    > Parry's last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    Well, I'd pronounce the first name such that it rhymed with "drillin'" and
    the second such that it rhymed with "hairy". Of course, attempting to
    utter such pronunciations underwater would likely obfuscate the purity of
    my speech and render the effort something like "Dilly Puree, glug glug".
    Fortunately, the English tend to garble their words and are used to
    deciphering relative babble as a consequence.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 8, 2008
  4. Neredbojias

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan Parry's
    > last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    Neither - it's pa-ree. And you are probably all mispronouncing my first
    name incorrectly too. If I wanted too be picky, you should be saying it
    as dull-an but you are probably all thinking it's dill-un.

    --
    Dylan Parry

    The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
    those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

    Dylan Parry, Jan 8, 2008
  5. Neredbojias

    John Hosking Guest

    Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan Parry's
    >> last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    > Neither - it's pa-ree. And you are probably all mispronouncing my first
    > name incorrectly too. If I wanted too be picky, you should be saying it
    > as dull-an but you are probably all thinking it's dill-un.

    Since we're already OT: In the fifth grade (U.S.), when I was 9-10 years
    old, our teacher, who was kind of young and hip, asked us orally once if
    we had heard of <bahb DILL-en>, the singer. I was rather precocious and
    full of myself that year, so I piped right up (repeatedly, as I dread to
    recall :-( ) with the fascinating info that I hadn't heard of him, but I
    had heard of <bahb DYE-len>.

    Okay, so I'd seen Bob Dylan's name in writing, but nobody'd ever told me
    how it was pronounced.

    --
    John
    Read about the UIP: http://improve-usenet.org/

    John Hosking, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Neredbojias

    Dylan Parry Guest

    John Hosking wrote:

    > Okay, so I'd seen Bob Dylan's name in writing, but nobody'd ever told me
    > how it was pronounced.

    Even if they had, it wouldn't necessarily have helped in pronouncing the
    name for other cultures :) It's pronounced differently in Welsh and
    English, for example. Although it's a Welsh name, and I am indeed Welsh,
    I don't particularly care for the Welsh pronunciation of my name ;)

    Dylan Parry, Jan 8, 2008
  7. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > John Hosking wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, so I'd seen Bob Dylan's name in writing, but nobody'd ever told me
    >> how it was pronounced.

    > Even if they had, it wouldn't necessarily have helped in pronouncing the
    > name for other cultures :) It's pronounced differently in Welsh and
    > English, for example. Although it's a Welsh name, and I am indeed Welsh, I
    > don't particularly care for the Welsh pronunciation of my name ;)

    How's it pronounced in Welsh?

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2008
  8. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan Parry's
    >> last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    > Neither - it's pa-ree. And you are probably all mispronouncing my first
    > name incorrectly too. If I wanted too be picky, you should be saying it as
    > dull-an but you are probably all thinking it's dill-un.

    Yep -- I was oh for two. I've meant to ask before, and never got around
    to it. :)

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2008
  9. Neredbojias

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > How's it pronounced in Welsh?

    Wasn't all too clear in my other reply ;) The English is "dill-un" and
    the Welsh is "dull-an". I dislike the latter, and always will, even
    though that's the name I was given and am still called by my
    parents/siblings.

    Friends, colleagues etc, generally through ignorance, call me by the
    English pronunciation, which suits me as that's the one I prefer <g>

    Dylan Parry, Jan 8, 2008
  10. Neredbojias

    andrew Guest

    On 2008-01-08, Dylan Parry <> wrote:
    > John Hosking wrote:
    >
    >> Okay, so I'd seen Bob Dylan's name in writing, but nobody'd ever told me
    >> how it was pronounced.

    > Even if they had, it wouldn't necessarily have helped in pronouncing the
    > name for other cultures :) It's pronounced differently in Welsh and
    > English, for example. Although it's a Welsh name, and I am indeed Welsh,
    > I don't particularly care for the Welsh pronunciation of my name ;)

    In Australia you would be 'Mate' :)

    Andrew

    --
    http://www.andrews-corner.org

    andrew, Jan 8, 2008
  11. Dylan Parry wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> How's it pronounced in Welsh?

    > Wasn't all too clear in my other reply ;) The English is "dill-un" and the
    > Welsh is "dull-an". I dislike the latter, and always will, even though
    > that's the name I was given and am still called by my parents/siblings.
    >
    > Friends, colleagues etc, generally through ignorance, call me by the
    > English pronunciation, which suits me as that's the one I prefer <g>

    Gotcha. Yeah, I apparently misread your other post to say that the
    technically correct Welsh pronunciation of your first name wasn't the one
    (dull-in) that you told us about. My bad.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2008
  12. Neredbojias wrote:
    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:25:22
    > GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>
    >>> It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle.
    >>> It isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's
    >>> simply:
    >>>
    >>> nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >>>
    >>> Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    >>> supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your support.

    >> Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan
    >> Parry's last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    > Well, I'd pronounce the first name such that it rhymed with "drillin'" and
    > the second such that it rhymed with "hairy".

    But how do you pronounce Mary, marry, and merry?

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 8, 2008
  13. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:31:31
    GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:

    >>> Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan
    >>> Parry's last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

    >> Well, I'd pronounce the first name such that it rhymed with
    >> "drillin'" and the second such that it rhymed with "hairy".

    > But how do you pronounce Mary, marry, and merry?

    Well, if you're speaking informally...

    Mary = "Bitch"
    marry = "Scram"
    merry = "Drunk"

    Formally, of course, there's little difference in the elocution although
    the middle one can be likened to an execution which lasts for a lifetime.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 8, 2008
  14. Neredbojias wrote:
    > It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle. It
    > isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:
    >
    > nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >
    > Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    > supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >
    > Thank you for your support.

    Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
    Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

    I'm sure you must have been provoked into covering this a long time ago,
    but is that a real name? What's its origin?

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 8, 2008
  15. Neredbojias

    dorayme Guest

    In article <-corner.org>,
    andrew <> wrote:

    > In Australia you would be 'Mate' :)

    Too right!

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 8, 2008
  16. Neredbojias

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A1F8335A9691nanopandaneredbojias@85.214.90.236>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:31:31
    > GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:
    >
    > > But how do you pronounce Mary, marry, and merry?

    > Well, if you're speaking informally...
    >
    > Mary = "Bitch"
    > marry = "Scram"
    > merry = "Drunk"

    Boji, since you so willingly exhibit this clearly unpleasant side
    to your nature so often, are you going to level with us and tell
    what embittered you so badly?

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 8, 2008
  17. Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle.
    >> It isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:
    >>
    >> nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >>
    >> Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    >> supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your support.

    > Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
    > Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

    Well sure, but don't you "pronounce" it in your head as you read the name?

    > I'm sure you must have been provoked into covering this a long time ago,
    > but is that a real name? What's its origin?

    Good Q. Thanks for asking.

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 8, 2008
  18. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Harlan Messinger wrote:
    >
    >> Neredbojias wrote:
    >>> It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle.
    >>> It isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:
    >>>
    >>> nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >>>
    >>> Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    >>> supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >>>
    >>> Thank you for your support.

    >> Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
    >> Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

    > Well sure, but don't you "pronounce" it in your head as you read the name?

    Sort of, but--can he read my *mind*??? I'm scared.

    Harlan Messinger, Jan 8, 2008
  19. Neredbojias

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:02:08
    GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:

    > Neredbojias wrote:
    >> It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle.
    >> It isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's
    >> simply:
    >>
    >> nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz
    >>
    >> Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
    >> supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.
    >>
    >> Thank you for your support.

    > Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
    > Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

    Well, some people talk to themselves and I wouldn't want them to jabber
    gibberish. OTOH, some believe that all reality exists only inside their
    heads so the scope of any verbality becomes problematic in such cases.

    > I'm sure you must have been provoked into covering this a long time
    > ago, but is that a real name? What's its origin?

    Actually, no, it's made-up. Although many use their real names on forums
    like this, I just prefer to use a handle, albeit a "permanent" one. For
    one thing, it helps limit situations such as occurred in a thread above
    where somebody gets a grudge and starts posting your private information,
    etc. I tend to say controversial things and don't need some moron taking
    me over-seriously and trying to "get even" or whatever. Furthermore, I
    don't particularly like my real name; it's not something I would have
    chosen and I've even thought of changing it (but didn't 'cause I was too
    lazy.) There are valid reasons for establishing a bonafide identity, and
    although I employ a nom-de-plume, I think I have nevertheless done that.
    This concept is actually mostly why I changed back from "Bone Ur".

    --
    Neredbojias
    Riches are their own reward.

    Neredbojias, Jan 9, 2008
  20. Neredbojias

    dorayme Guest

    In article <Xns9A1FC9231C716nanopandaneredbojias@85.214.90.236>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > Actually, no, it's made-up.

    I don't think so. My man, Officer White, assures me it is a real
    name and that it is you, the one and only Chief Misogynist on
    Earth. When you go walkabout, people point and say "There goes
    that Neredbojias!"

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 9, 2008