Nom de Plume Complaint (slightly OT)

Neredbojias

It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle. It
isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:

nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz

Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.

Thank you for your support.

Blinky the Shark

Neredbojias said:
It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle. It
isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:

nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz

Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.

Thank you for your support.

Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan Parry's
last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:25:22
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:
Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan
Parry's last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

Well, I'd pronounce the first name such that it rhymed with "drillin'" and
the second such that it rhymed with "hairy". Of course, attempting to
utter such pronunciations underwater would likely obfuscate the purity of
my speech and render the effort something like "Dilly Puree, glug glug".
Fortunately, the English tend to garble their words and are used to
deciphering relative babble as a consequence.

Dylan Parry

Blinky said:
Yeah? Well, if you're so smart <g>, how do you pronounce Dylan Parry's
last name? Pair-ee or par-ee?

Neither - it's pa-ree. And you are probably all mispronouncing my first
name incorrectly too. If I wanted too be picky, you should be saying it
as dull-an but you are probably all thinking it's dill-un.

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

John Hosking

Dylan said:
Neither - it's pa-ree. And you are probably all mispronouncing my first
name incorrectly too. If I wanted too be picky, you should be saying it
as dull-an but you are probably all thinking it's dill-un.

Since we're already OT: In the fifth grade (U.S.), when I was 9-10 years
old, our teacher, who was kind of young and hip, asked us orally once if
we had heard of <bahb DILL-en>, the singer. I was rather precocious and
full of myself that year, so I piped right up (repeatedly, as I dread to
recall :-( ) with the fascinating info that I hadn't heard of him, but I
had heard of <bahb DYE-len>.

Okay, so I'd seen Bob Dylan's name in writing, but nobody'd ever told me
how it was pronounced.

Dylan Parry

John said:
Okay, so I'd seen Bob Dylan's name in writing, but nobody'd ever told me
how it was pronounced.

Even if they had, it wouldn't necessarily have helped in pronouncing the
name for other cultures :) It's pronounced differently in Welsh and
English, for example. Although it's a Welsh name, and I am indeed Welsh,
I don't particularly care for the Welsh pronunciation of my name ;)

--

Dylan said:
Even if they had, it wouldn't necessarily have helped in pronouncing the
name for other cultures :) It's pronounced differently in Welsh and
English, for example. Although it's a Welsh name, and I am indeed Welsh, I
don't particularly care for the Welsh pronunciation of my name ;)

How's it pronounced in Welsh?

Blinky the Shark

Dylan said:
Neither - it's pa-ree. And you are probably all mispronouncing my first
name incorrectly too. If I wanted too be picky, you should be saying it as
dull-an but you are probably all thinking it's dill-un.

Yep -- I was oh for two. I've meant to ask before, and never got around
to it. :)

Dylan Parry

Blinky said:
How's it pronounced in Welsh?

Wasn't all too clear in my other reply ;) The English is "dill-un" and
the Welsh is "dull-an". I dislike the latter, and always will, even
though that's the name I was given and am still called by my
parents/siblings.

Friends, colleagues etc, generally through ignorance, call me by the
English pronunciation, which suits me as that's the one I prefer <g>

--
Dylan Parry

The opinions stated above are not necessarily representative of
those of my cats. All opinions expressed are entirely your own.

andrew

Even if they had, it wouldn't necessarily have helped in pronouncing the
name for other cultures :) It's pronounced differently in Welsh and
English, for example. Although it's a Welsh name, and I am indeed Welsh,
I don't particularly care for the Welsh pronunciation of my name ;)

In Australia you would be 'Mate' :)

Andrew

Blinky the Shark

Dylan said:
Wasn't all too clear in my other reply ;) The English is "dill-un" and the
Welsh is "dull-an". I dislike the latter, and always will, even though
that's the name I was given and am still called by my parents/siblings.

Friends, colleagues etc, generally through ignorance, call me by the
English pronunciation, which suits me as that's the one I prefer <g>

Gotcha. Yeah, I apparently misread your other post to say that the
technically correct Welsh pronunciation of your first name wasn't the one
(dull-in) that you told us about. My bad.

Harlan Messinger

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 06:25:22
GMT Blinky the Shark scribed:

Well, I'd pronounce the first name such that it rhymed with "drillin'" and
the second such that it rhymed with "hairy".

But how do you pronounce Mary, marry, and merry?

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:31:31
GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:
But how do you pronounce Mary, marry, and merry?

Well, if you're speaking informally...

Mary = "Bitch"
marry = "Scram"
merry = "Drunk"

Formally, of course, there's little difference in the elocution although
the middle one can be likened to an execution which lasts for a lifetime.

Harlan Messinger

Neredbojias said:
It has come to my attention that people are mispronouncing my handle. It
isn't ner.ed.boh.JI.az or anything convoluted like that, it's simply:

nai(r).red.BOH.jee.ahz

Get it right, folks. You're supposed to be either professionals or
supplicants, -either of which has a stake in proper pronunciation.

Thank you for your support.

Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

I'm sure you must have been provoked into covering this a long time ago,
but is that a real name? What's its origin?

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 16:31:31
GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:

Well, if you're speaking informally...

Mary = "Bitch"
marry = "Scram"
merry = "Drunk"

Boji, since you so willingly exhibit this clearly unpleasant side
to your nature so often, are you going to level with us and tell
what embittered you so badly?

Blinky the Shark

Harlan said:
Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

Well sure, but don't you "pronounce" it in your head as you read the name?
I'm sure you must have been provoked into covering this a long time ago,
but is that a real name? What's its origin?

Good Q. Thanks for asking.

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:02:08
GMT Harlan Messinger scribed:
Whoever has occasion to *pronounce* the names of anyone they read on
Usenet? For me, at any rate, you all exist exclusively inside my head.

Well, some people talk to themselves and I wouldn't want them to jabber
gibberish. OTOH, some believe that all reality exists only inside their
heads so the scope of any verbality becomes problematic in such cases.
I'm sure you must have been provoked into covering this a long time
ago, but is that a real name? What's its origin?

Actually, no, it's made-up. Although many use their real names on forums
like this, I just prefer to use a handle, albeit a "permanent" one. For
one thing, it helps limit situations such as occurred in a thread above
where somebody gets a grudge and starts posting your private information,
etc. I tend to say controversial things and don't need some moron taking
me over-seriously and trying to "get even" or whatever. Furthermore, I
don't particularly like my real name; it's not something I would have
chosen and I've even thought of changing it (but didn't 'cause I was too
lazy.) There are valid reasons for establishing a bonafide identity, and
although I employ a nom-de-plume, I think I have nevertheless done that.
This concept is actually mostly why I changed back from "Bone Ur".

dorayme

Neredbojias said:
Actually, no, it's made-up.

I don't think so. My man, Officer White, assures me it is a real
name and that it is you, the one and only Chief Misogynist on
Earth. When you go walkabout, people point and say "There goes
that Neredbojias!"