Non-blocking directory watching

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by xhoster@gmail.com, Mar 9, 2007.

  1. Guest

    "Matthew" <> wrote:
    > Hello all.
    >
    > Is there a way to watch a directory for files w/o blocking? I was
    > hoping there was something similar to select but I have found nothing.

    I can't think of a way of watching a directory *with* blocking (I'd just do
    polling which may be inefficient but doesn't block waiting for a change to
    happen). If you have such a method (efficient but blocking) in mind and
    you share it with us, I might be able to help you make it nonblocking.

    > inotify will not work b/c of the linux kernel requirement. I'd like
    > to stay cross-platform

    Xho

    Usenet Newsgroup Service $9.95/Month 30GB
    , Mar 9, 2007

  2. Matthew Guest

    Hello all.

    Is there a way to watch a directory for files w/o blocking? I was
    hoping there was something similar to select but I have found nothing.

    inotify will not work b/c of the linux kernel requirement. I'd like
    to stay cross-platform

    Thanks in advance.
    ---Matthew
    Matthew, Mar 9, 2007

  3. Matthew Guest

    Naw. I too am polling at the moment. This was more of a curiosity
    question in the hopes of adding to my knowledge.

    Thanks.
    ---Matthew

    Matthew, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Matthew Guest