non-copyrighted images

JD

I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

Thanks,
JD

Neal

I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

Thanks,
JD

The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior to
1923. All other images are copyrighted. You might want to look for image
collections where the owner has given free license to use them.

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

JD said:
I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

Are you looking for photos, clipart or anything in particular? There are
sites that offer free images, but the quality generally leaves alot to be
desired and you'll find the same images on ALOT of other sites. Meaning,
your site won't have that unique quality to it.

Also, try posting in alt.design.graphics - the regulars over there may have
some good sources.

--Tina

Toby Inkster

Neal said:
The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior to
1923. All other images are copyrighted.

Unless the original copyright holder (or any third parties to whom the
copyright had been transferred) explicitly placed the image in the public
domain.

JD

Are you looking for photos, clipart or anything in particular?

Animals for a freinds site, and generic credit card images for another,,,
and other misc. projects.

There are
sites that offer free images, but the quality generally leaves alot to be
desired and you'll find the same images on ALOT of other sites. Meaning,
your site won't have that unique quality to it.

Also, try posting in alt.design.graphics - the regulars over there may have
some good sources.

I might try that.
Thanks,
JD

Webcastmaker

"JD" said:
I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

Are you looking for commercial? of Google "stock images free" and
you get a ton of free links.

Sam Hughes

The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior to
1923. All other images are copyrighted. You might want to look for image
collections where the owner has given free license to use them.

And if the copyright owner places them into public domain?

Neal

And if the copyright owner places them into public domain?

Ok, an explicit statement by the rightful owner that the material is now
PD does the trick too, of course.

delerious

I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

The search term you want is "royalty free".

George Self

I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

Thanks,
JD

For space, earth science, aviation, and other such photos, the best
source on the Web would NASA. Nearly all of the photos are
royalty-free since they were created using public (government)
funding, though they do request credit. Here's the site:

http://www.nasa.gov/home/index.html?skipIntro=1

One of the best is the famous "earthrise" from the Apollo 8 mission:

http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_102.html

lostinspace

I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

Thanks,
JD

The US Library of Congress, American Memory Archives are an excellent source
which require credit for use as well.
http://memory.loc.gov/

There are many state libraries which follow the same procedures.
Kentucky has some excellent items. Other states (such as Ohio,) won't even
allow access to non-residents.