    Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    Thanks,
    JD
    JD, Jul 25, 2004

  2. JD

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:22:47 -0400, JD
    <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    > Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JD

    The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior to
    1923. All other images are copyrighted. You might want to look for image
    collections where the owner has given free license to use them.
    Neal, Jul 25, 2004

  3. "JD" <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    > Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    Are you looking for photos, clipart or anything in particular? There are
    sites that offer free images, but the quality generally leaves alot to be
    desired and you'll find the same images on ALOT of other sites. Meaning,
    your site won't have that unique quality to it.

    Also, try posting in alt.design.graphics - the regulars over there may have
    some good sources.

    --Tina
    --
    ***Limited time offer - first 50 signups only***
    Multi-domain/Reseller Cpanel accounts for ONE PENNY!
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Jul 25, 2004
  4. Michael Wilcox, Jul 25, 2004
  5. JD

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Neal wrote:

    > The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior to
    > 1923. All other images are copyrighted.

    Unless the original copyright holder (or any third parties to whom the
    copyright had been transferred) explicitly placed the image in the public
    domain.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./embrace/the_good_will_out/08_i_want_the_world.ogg
    Toby Inkster, Jul 25, 2004
  6. JD

    JD Guest

    "Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." <> wrote in message

    > Are you looking for photos, clipart or anything in particular?

    Animals for a freinds site, and generic credit card images for another,,,
    and other misc. projects.

    There are
    > sites that offer free images, but the quality generally leaves alot to be
    > desired and you'll find the same images on ALOT of other sites. Meaning,
    > your site won't have that unique quality to it.
    >
    > Also, try posting in alt.design.graphics - the regulars over there may

    have
    > some good sources.

    I might try that.
    Thanks,
    JD
    JD, Jul 25, 2004
  7. JD

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <l6RMc.23940$>, "JD"
    <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> says...
    > I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    > Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    Are you looking for commercial? of Google "stock images free" and
    you get a ton of free links.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Jul 25, 2004
  8. JD

    Sam Hughes Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:44:09 -0400, Neal <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:22:47 -0400, JD
    > <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >> I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    >> Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    > The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior to
    > 1923. All other images are copyrighted. You might want to look for image
    > collections where the owner has given free license to use them.

    And if the copyright owner places them into public domain?

    --
    Accessible web designs go easily unnoticed;
    the others are remembered and avoided forever.
    Sam Hughes, Jul 25, 2004
  9. JD

    Neal Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:35:21 -0400, Sam Hughes <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:44:09 -0400, Neal <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:22:47 -0400, JD
    >> <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    >>> Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    >> The only images not under copyright (US law) are those created prior
    >> to 1923. All other images are copyrighted. You might want to look for
    >> image collections where the owner has given free license to use them.

    > And if the copyright owner places them into public domain?

    Ok, an explicit statement by the rightful owner that the material is now
    PD does the trick too, of course.
    Neal, Jul 25, 2004
  10. JD

    JD Guest

    >Google "stock images free" and
    > you get a ton of free links.

    Good advice, Thanks
    JD, Jul 25, 2004
  11. JD

    Nik Coughin Guest

    JD wrote:
    > I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    > Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > JD

    I think http://www.gettyimages.com/ has a royalty-free section, not sure if
    that's what you meant.
    Nik Coughin, Jul 26, 2004
  12. JD

    Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:22:47 -0400, "JD"
    <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    >Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    The search term you want is "royalty free".
    , Jul 26, 2004
  13. JD

    Webcastmaker Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > >I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    > >Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.

    > The search term you want is "royalty free".

    Be aware many offer their images "royalty free" for NON commercial
    use.
    --
    WebcastMaker
    www.webentations.com
    Webcastmaker, Jul 26, 2004
  14. JD

    George Self Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:22:47 -0400, "JD"
    <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    >Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >JD

    For space, earth science, aviation, and other such photos, the best
    source on the Web would NASA. Nearly all of the photos are
    royalty-free since they were created using public (government)
    funding, though they do request credit. Here's the site:

    http://www.nasa.gov/home/index.html?skipIntro=1

    One of the best is the famous "earthrise" from the Apollo 8 mission:

    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_102.html
    George Self, Jul 26, 2004
  15. JD

    lostinspace Guest

    On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 12:22:47 -0400, "JD"
    <indyfladon(REMOVETHISPART)@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >I need a source for some non-copyrighted pictures . Any suggestions?
    >Googgle searches keep coming up with subscription services.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >JD

    The US Library of Congress, American Memory Archives are an excellent source
    which require credit for use as well.
    http://memory.loc.gov/

    There are many state libraries which follow the same procedures.
    Kentucky has some excellent items. Other states (such as Ohio,) won't even
    allow access to non-residents.
    lostinspace, Jul 26, 2004