Non embedded applet

Hikikomori

Hi,

I know that an applet is usually embedded inside a html page using the
<applet> tag. However I have seen applets being launched in its own
window instead of being embedded in a HTML page.

For example, if you go to http://www.singnet.com.sg/ and click on the
arrow icon under the Chat@SingNet section, you will notice that the
applet irc client pops out in its own window. I am curious to how this
is done because it doesn't seem like it is opened in a new browser
window, or is it? Because if you close the browser window that launched
the applet, the applet closes as well. Any idea on how that is
implemented?

Matt Humphrey

Hikikomori said:
Hi,

I know that an applet is usually embedded inside a html page using the
<applet> tag. However I have seen applets being launched in its own
window instead of being embedded in a HTML page.

For example, if you go to http://www.singnet.com.sg/ and click on the
arrow icon under the Chat@SingNet section, you will notice that the
applet irc client pops out in its own window. I am curious to how this
is done because it doesn't seem like it is opened in a new browser
window, or is it? Because if you close the browser window that launched
the applet, the applet closes as well. Any idea on how that is
implemented?

One technique is for the launching page opened by the chat link to contain a
tiny applet that in turn opens a new Java Frame or JFrame. When the tiny
applet is stopped (or whatever) it can close the other window also. I don't
think any special privileges are needed for this. There may be other
techniques that are more direct.

Cheers,
Matt Humphrey (e-mail address removed) http://www.iviz.com/