Non-english text getting transformed.

AC

I have a Spanish page that contains a link to send an email (one of those "send this page to someone"). The Hyperlink uses the MailTo:[email address]?subject=something format. It' looks like tihs:

href="mailto:?body=Encontré una página en el sitio

But when the user clicks on the link, they see this in the email body:
Encontré una página en el sitio

It's translating the Spanish characters. I haven't worked much with multilingual sites. No matter what I try... URL/HTML encoding, I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas?

Eric Lawrence [MSFT]

Which Email client? Outlook 2003 does pretty well with these; I know some third-party mail clients don't handle this as well.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

I have a Spanish page that contains a link to send an email (one of those "send this page to someone"). The Hyperlink uses the MailTo:[email address]?subject=something format. It' looks like tihs:

href="mailto:?body=Encontré una página en el sitio

But when the user clicks on the link, they see this in the email body:
Encontré una página en el sitio

It's translating the Spanish characters. I haven't worked much with multilingual sites. No matter what I try... URL/HTML encoding, I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas?

AC

Outlook 2003
Which Email client? Outlook 2003 does pretty well with these; I know some third-party mail clients don't handle this as well.

--
Thanks,

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Assistance and Worldwide Services

I have a Spanish page that contains a link to send an email (one of those "send this page to someone"). The Hyperlink uses the MailTo:[email address]?subject=something format. It' looks like tihs:

href="mailto:?body=Encontré una página en el sitio

But when the user clicks on the link, they see this in the email body:
Encontré una página en el sitio

It's translating the Spanish characters. I haven't worked much with multilingual sites. No matter what I try... URL/HTML encoding, I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas?

Guest

have you tried UrlEncode("Encontré una página en el sitio")?

Alexey

I have a Spanish page that contains a link to send an email (one of those "send this page to someone"). The Hyperlink uses the MailTo:[email address]?subject=something format. It' looks like tihs:

href="mailto:?body=Encontré una página en el sitio

But when the user clicks on the link, they see this in the email body:
Encontré una página en el sitio

It's translating the Spanish characters. I haven't worked much with multilingual sites. No matter what I try... URL/HTML encoding, I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas?

AC

After doing that and looking at the resulting HTML source, it's acutally encoding it to the same stuff that shows in the email.

mailto:[address]?body=Encontré una página en el sitio

Other ideas?
have you tried UrlEncode("Encontré una página en el sitio")?

Alexey

I have a Spanish page that contains a link to send an email (one of those "send this page to someone"). The Hyperlink uses the MailTo:[email address]?subject=something format. It' looks like tihs:

href="mailto:?body=Encontré una página en el sitio

But when the user clicks on the link, they see this in the email body:
Encontré una página en el sitio

It's translating the Spanish characters. I haven't worked much with multilingual sites. No matter what I try... URL/HTML encoding, I keep getting the same thing. Any ideas?

Guest

I see... perhaps you have UTF-8 by default
Is it right?

try to change web.config to
<globalization requestEncoding="windows-1252" responseEncoding="windows-1252" />

and then it will work

I'm not sure if that encoding have no dramatic impact on your application
But this is the one solution I see at the moment

Alexey

[...]

Deliver the page in UTF-8?

Is this URL available publicly?

--
[...]

I tried w/ my frontpage w/ diffrent encoding values and got the same result in UTF-8 as he mentioned....

Alexey

[...]

Changing the encoding definately did fix it... however I'm concerned about the rest of the site (it's a Microsoft CMS site). Need to test everything else out there to make sure it's A-OK.

Thanks!
-AC