Non Java programmer needs help!!

John Grogan

I have absolutely no experience in Java although am a programmer by
trade.

I have a problem in a third-party system, as follows.

The system uses "web" forms to capture and save data. When the form
is called up it should "remember" some field contents from previous
sessions. It works intermittently, other times produces "error on
page" errors. I have narrowed it down to some lines in a Javascript
script that is called when opening the form and closing (saving the
data). The line is :-

form_data.load("EID_Settings")

or

form_data.save("EID_Settings")

I believe it is trying to load from an XML file. The problems seem to
be related to permissions on Windows XP. The XML file is saved to the
cache of the first user to run the system, therefore other users can't
access it. I have tried moving the cache for all users to a central
location - still doesn't work (I get a message about the "Internet
extensions").

Is there a way I can force the script to read and write from a
specifically named file (e.g. c:\app\eid_settings.xml) rather than use
the cache?

Any help greatly appreciated!

Jeen Broekstra

John said:
I have absolutely no experience in Java although am a
programmer by trade.

Shame on you! :)
I have a problem in a third-party system, as follows.

The system uses "web" forms to capture and save data. When
the form is called up it should "remember" some field contents
from previous sessions. It works intermittently, other times
produces "error on page" errors. I have narrowed it down to
some lines in a Javascript script
[snip]

Presumably you would be better off with asking this in a
Javascript group (comp.lang.javascript). Javascript has very
little to do with Java.

Cheers,

Jeen
--
Jeen Broekstra http://www.cs.vu.nl/~jbroeks/

Nothing endures but change.

-- Heraclitus

John Grogan

Jeen Broekstra said:
[snip]

Presumably you would be better off with asking this in a
Javascript group (comp.lang.javascript). Javascript has very
little to do with Java.

Cheers,

Jeen

Have done. Thanks.