Non-programmer needs help with PyGTK-2.0.0

Mark Mitchell

Guest

Mark said:
I have a program written in python that tells me it requires PyGTK, so I
DLed, ./configure, make, make install and the process seems to go ok. Some
errors but the process finishes so I assumed they weren't fatal errors.

It often complains about missing functions, or something.
It compiles though, so I assume, it's built completely.
So now I attempt to run my python program and I get;
$ gccp.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./gccp.py", line 9, in ?
import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk

I'm running Slackware 9.1 with a 2.6.6 kernel, and I don't know what other
information would be helpful.

Most probably, pygtk is installed in a directory where python
cannot find it (i.e. the wrong directory). So setting PYTHONPATH
may help. If not:

Did you get python from a Slackware package?

Where's the python standard library?
in /usr/lib/python?.? or /usr/local/lib/python?.? ?

Where did it install pygtk?
/usr/lib/python?.?/site-packages or /usr/local/lib/python?.?/site-packages ?

What's your --prefix for ./configure ?

Greetings,

Holger

Mark said:

I have a program written in python that tells me it requires PyGTK, so I
DLed, ./configure, make, make install and the process seems to go ok. Some
errors but the process finishes so I assumed they weren't fatal errors.

So now I attempt to run my python program and I get;
$ gccp.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "./gccp.py", line 9, in ?
import pygtk
ImportError: No module named pygtk

I'm running Slackware 9.1 with a 2.6.6 kernel, and I don't know what other
information would be helpful.

Why not try a prepackaged version?
http://www.linuxpackages.net/search_view.php?by=name&name=pygtk2&ver=9.1
At least it will give you info on the right thing to do

Pádraig.

Mark Mitchell

John Hunter

Mark> No, I compiled from source.

Try installing with 'python setup.py install' rather than
configure/make install.

Mark Mitchell

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Holger_T=FCrk?=

Mark said:
I have a /usr/lib/python2.3 that has a bunch of .py .pyo .pyc files, and

Python got installed with prefix /usr
I also have a;
$ ls -l /usr/local/lib/python2.3/
total 1
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 192 2004-05-26 23:56 site-packages/

I'm not sure what exactly you're referring to here. Looking at my install
log, I have a number of .py .pyc .pyo files in
usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/ and
usr/local/share/pygtk/2.0/

pygtk got installed with prefix /usr/local
_Your_ Python installation doesn't look there by default.
I didn't use one, just straight ./configure.

Which means /usr/local.

Try setting PYTHONPATH to
/usr/local/lib/python2.3:\
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages:\
/usr/local/lib/python2.3/site-packages/gtk-2.0

If that doesn't work, do

../configure --prefix=/usr

instead of

../configure