    set of classes that allows you validate user input on the server side,
    display error messages on JSP pages, etc. - something that emulates
    Struts in this regard but is more lightweight and not so invasive?
    bb, Jun 16, 2005

  2. bb

    Wendy Smoak Guest

    "bb" <> wrote

    > I'm working on an old Java application that is being converted to JSP
    > with Hibernate. The conversion is taking place piece by piece and using
    > Struts or Spring is not an option. Can someone recommend an existing
    > set of classes that allows you validate user input on the server side,
    > display error messages on JSP pages, etc. - something that emulates
    > Struts in this regard but is more lightweight and not so invasive?

    Struts doesn't do validation, it uses Jakarta Commons Validator behind the
    scenes:
    http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/validator/

    I've never tried to use it outside of Struts, but it's certainly possible.
    Then displaying error messages could be nothing more than iterating over
    some collection of errors with <c:forEach> and <c:eek:ut>. (That's most of
    what <html:errors> does, anyway, along with some bells and whistles for
    styles and a header/footer.)

    --
    Wendy
    Wendy Smoak, Jun 16, 2005