    do you start to build one?

    http://web.twinisles.com

    , Dec 29, 2004

  2. Andy Dingley Guest

    On 29 Dec 2004 00:01:26 -0800, wrote:

    >We concentrate on the basics. What makes an effective Web site?

    Possibly the worst tutorial yet for "content free ad-whoring". OK, so
    it's not as plain dumb stupid as some, but it's still a negligible
    contribution to the overall web. Is there anything actually _useful_
    on your site ?

    And what the hell is this ? Combine the worst of JavaScript _and_ CSS
    approaches to doing a simple roll-over ?

    onMouseOver="m8.className='on';" onMouseOut="m8.className='off';">

    Andy Dingley, Dec 29, 2004

  3. wrote:
    > Easy Web Site Design web.twinisles.com is a short introduction to Web
    > Design is aimed at the non-technical layman...
    > http://web.twinisles.com

    Oh, how I hate those back to top links. (Yes, I
    do, I realize that now.) What's so interesting
    there at the top of the page? How can it be more
    difficult to scroll upwards than downwards?

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.no.net/ingernet/

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Dec 31, 2004
  4. Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Easy Web Site Design web.twinisles.com is a short introduction to Web
    >> Design is aimed at the non-technical layman...
    >> http://web.twinisles.com

    > Oh, how I hate those back to top links. (Yes, I do, I realize that now.)
    > What's so interesting there at the top of the page? How can it be more
    > difficult to scroll upwards than downwards?

    Providing a number of different ways to navigate about a page is a good
    thing.

    Andrew Poulos

    Andrew Poulos, Dec 31, 2004
  5. On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Andrew Poulos wrote:

    > Providing a number of different ways to navigate about a page is a good thing.

    I don't agree. Providing things which duplicate existing browser
    functions, and which you won't find on many another web page, is a
    pernicious distraction.

    Alan J. Flavell, Dec 31, 2004
  6. Alan J. Flavell wrote:

    >>Providing a number of different ways to navigate about a page is a good thing.

    > I don't agree. Providing things which duplicate existing browser
    > functions, and which you won't find on many another web page, is a
    > pernicious distraction.

    "pernicious"???, you think that 'back to top' links could directly or
    indirectly result in death?

    BTW have you noticed that the W3C.org site uses them. There's even
    instances where they (gosh) duplicate the top menu at the bottom of the
    page.

    Whether you get back to the top of a page by:
    - selecting a link,
    - dragging the scrollbar,
    - clicking the scrollbar 'up' button,
    - fiddle the wheel on a wheelmouse,
    - use the arrow keys on the keyboard, or
    - resize your browser window so that the entire page is visible at once
    the choice has always been yours.

    Andrew Poulos

    Andrew Poulos, Dec 31, 2004
  7. Neal Guest

    TAN: Re: Non-technical introduction to Web Design

    Andrew Poulos wrote:

    > "pernicious"???, you think that 'back to top' links could directly or
    > indirectly result in death?

    Not really what he said. http://www.m-w.com gives:

    highly injurious or destructive: DEADLY

    However, in the synonym discussion, it shows the various degrees of
    damage. Pernicious need not result in physical harm; it can relate to harm
    to a structure or order as well, which is clearly what Alan meant, and
    what is clearly meant by the citation in the definition <the claim that
    pornography has a pernicious effect on society>.

    Semantics, bah. Stick to topic.

    Neal, Dec 31, 2004
  8. On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Andrew Poulos wrote:

    > "pernicious"???, you think that 'back to top' links could directly or
    > indirectly result in death?

    Eh? My dictionary defines "pernicious" as destructive; highly
    injurious; spreading in a hidden and usually injurious way.

    Your command of the original Latin is commendable, but unhelpful in
    regard to current English usage.

    > BTW have you noticed that the W3C.org site uses them.

    I have no influence over what W3C choose to do... I may or may not
    agree with it, from case to case.

    > Whether you get back to the top of a page by:
    > - selecting a link,
    > - dragging the scrollbar,
    > - clicking the scrollbar 'up' button,
    > - fiddle the wheel on a wheelmouse,
    > - use the arrow keys on the keyboard, or
    > - resize your browser window so that the entire page is visible at once
    > the choice has always been yours.

    Er, no. If the author doesn't provide links to the top, then they
    aren't available; whereas the ones provided in the browser itself
    (most usefully the Home key, of which you seem to be unaware) are
    always available. And that's my point. You've not only distracted
    your readers from the most appropriate solution - you're even unaware
    of it yourself, it seems.

    Alan J. Flavell, Dec 31, 2004
  9. Stan Brown Guest

    "Andrew Poulos" wrote in comp.infosystems.www.authoring.html:
    >Providing a number of different ways to navigate about a page is a good
    >thing.

    Why?

    It seems to me that all those extra links are distracting. The user
    already knows how to get to the top of the current page (and yes,
    teher are multiple ways in most browsers). Providing links is just
    surplusage.

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    HTML 4.01 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/
    validator: http://validator.w3.org/
    CSS 2.1 spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/
    validator: http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/
    Why We Won't Help You:
    http://diveintomark.org/archives/2003/05/05/why_we_wont_help_you

    Stan Brown, Dec 31, 2004
  10. Karl Core Guest

    "Andrew Poulos" <> wrote in message
    > Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Easy Web Site Design web.twinisles.com is a short introduction to Web
    >>> Design is aimed at the non-technical layman...
    >>> http://web.twinisles.com

    >> Oh, how I hate those back to top links. (Yes, I do, I realize that now.)
    >> What's so interesting there at the top of the page? How can it be more
    >> difficult to scroll upwards than downwards?
    >>

    > Providing a number of different ways to navigate about a page is a good
    > thing.

    This is not good advice. The navigation (look, position, action, labeling,
    etc.) should reflect the expectations of the site's users and should be
    consistent.

    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":

    Karl Core, Dec 31, 2004
  11. On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 22:28:42 -0500, Karl Core wrote:

    > Please Support "Project Boneyard":
    > http://www.insurgence.net/info.aspx?action=band&item=boneyard

    What exactly is it that you are imploring us to support?
    - Distribution of the CD's.
    - *Prevention* of distribution of the CD's.
    - The media hype surrounding the first two.

    [ F'Ups set to c.i.w.a.s-d ]

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Dec 31, 2004
  12. Duende Guest

    Re: TAN: Re: Non-technical introduction to Web Design

    While sitting in a puddle Neal scribbled in the mud:

    > Semantics, bah. Stick to topic.

    Why?

    --
    D?