    etc.
    Any pointer would be well received :)

    Michele Simionato

    Michele Simionato, Mar 12, 2007

  2. Michele Simionato

    Paul Rubin Guest

    "Michele Simionato" <> writes:
    > Any pointer would be well received :)

    Dunno about those libs but it helps to understand the mathematical
    options. Numerical Recipes by Teukolsky et al has understandable,
    cookbook-like advice about this stuff. I'm told that true numerics
    gurus scoff at it but it's at least a start.

    Paul Rubin, Mar 12, 2007

  3. On Mar 12, 5:28 pm, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    > "Michele Simionato" <> writes:
    > > Any pointer would be well received :)

    > Dunno about those libs but it helps to understand the mathematical
    > options. Numerical Recipes by Teukolsky et al has understandable,
    > cookbook-like advice about this stuff. I'm told that true numerics
    > gurus scoff at it but it's at least a start.

    No, I know about Numerical Recipes, I want an already-made solution.
    For instance I found one here
    http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/Scient...Scientific.Functions.LeastSquares-module.html
    but I wonder if I should use numpy or something else, since
    I am not following the progresses in numerical Python these days.

    P.S. sorry for the multiple post, google tricked me.

    Michele Simionato, Mar 12, 2007
  4. Michele Simionato

    Robert Kern Guest

    Michele Simionato wrote:
    > On Mar 12, 5:28 pm, Paul Rubin <http://> wrote:
    >> "Michele Simionato" <> writes:
    >>> Any pointer would be well received :)

    >> Dunno about those libs but it helps to understand the mathematical
    >> options. Numerical Recipes by Teukolsky et al has understandable,
    >> cookbook-like advice about this stuff. I'm told that true numerics
    >> gurus scoff at it but it's at least a start.

    > No, I know about Numerical Recipes, I want an already-made solution.
    > For instance I found one here
    > http://dirac.cnrs-orleans.fr/Scient...Scientific.Functions.LeastSquares-module.html
    > but I wonder if I should use numpy or something else, since
    > I am not following the progresses in numerical Python these days.

    It sounds like you want nonlinear curve fitting rather than interpolation. I do
    recommend using numpy as the underlying array package, but it does not provide
    any curve fitting itself. The 2.7 branch of ScientificPython can work with numpy
    instead of Numeric, if you like. See the README.

    http://sourcesup.cru.fr/projects/scientific-py/

    scipy also has a variety of curve fitting routines at the expense of a more
    involved install. scipy.optimize.leastsq() might be sufficient for you, but the
    scipy.odr package is much more flexible (but get scipy from SVN for that; the
    latest release has some unfortunate bugs in that package).

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco