noob can't install python modules/scripts

Discussion in 'Python' started by lostguru, Dec 29, 2012.

  1. lostguru

    lostguru Guest

    hi, I'm not that new to programming (java) but I'm a pathetic newbie when it comes to python. I just started learning today and I'm trying to install third-party modules/scripts (I don't know the difference at the moment) so that they'll work in python; namely, easy_install/pip/distribute and beautifulsoup4

    python version is 2.7.3; platform is windows 7, 64-bit

    when I first installed python, I couldn't get it to run from the command line just by typing "python"; installing activepython (also 64-bit) seemed tohave solved the problem (I later added C:\Python27 and C:\Python27\Scriptsto the %PATH% environmental variable, not sure if this changed anything however)

    the only problem now is that I can't install any modules for python (that or they're installed and not working); I'm aware that my 64-bit installationneeds the respective 64-bit versions of all of the modules I want installed, so I made sure to download those; but running/installing all of those has yielded no reaction

    using easy_install as an example, I downloaded the .py script the website told me to use for 64-bit installations, and ran it; as far as I know nothing happened (was I supposed to put it in a specific folder first before running it?) and trying to type "easy_install" into python gives me this:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    easy_install
    NameError: name 'easy_install' is not defined

    trying to type "easy_install BeautifulSoup4" gives me this:
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    I'm at a loss as to why none of this works; did I not set up Python correctly? or was there some step I missed/ignored? any help or input would be much appreciated at this stage

    lostguru, Dec 29, 2012

  2. lostguru

    lostguru Guest

    I guess I should add that the python installation is 64-bit as well

    thanks again!

    lostguru, Dec 29, 2012

  3. On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:45:56 -0800, lostguru wrote:

    > using easy_install as an example, I downloaded the .py script the
    > website told me to use for 64-bit installations, and ran it;

    "The website"? There's more than one website on the Internet. Which
    website are you referring to? What .py script did you download? How did
    you run it? Details are important!

    > as far as I
    > know nothing happened (was I supposed to put it in a specific folder
    > first before running it?) and trying to type "easy_install" into python
    > gives me this:
    > Traceback (most recent call last):
    > File "<pyshell#0>", line 1, in <module>
    > easy_install
    > NameError: name 'easy_install' is not defined
    >
    > trying to type "easy_install BeautifulSoup4" gives me this:
    > SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    It looks like you tried to run the easy_install command from inside the
    Python interactive interpreter, rather than from your system shell.

    The system shell (command.com or cmd.exe I guess) will have a $ or % sign
    as the prompt. Python usually has >>> as the prompt, although if you are
    running ActivePython it may be something else. You need to run the
    "easy_install BeautifulSoup4" command from the system shell, not Python.

    Try that, and if there's another error, please copy and paste the exact
    command you used, and the full error message.

    --
    Steven

    Steven D'Aprano, Dec 29, 2012
  4. lostguru

    lostguru Guest

    sorry about that; I was using the setuptools package from pypi python [ http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools ]; I downloaded the ez_setup.py file from under the 64-bit windows installation section and ran that (by double clicking on it, I hope this wasn't another noob mistake lol)

    > It looks like you tried to run the easy_install command from inside the
    >
    > Python interactive interpreter, rather than from your system shell.
    >

    > The system shell (command.com or cmd.exe I guess) will have a $ or % sign
    >
    > as the prompt. Python usually has >>> as the prompt, although if you are
    >
    > running ActivePython it may be something else. You need to run the
    >
    > "easy_install BeautifulSoup4" command from the system shell, not Python.
    >

    > Try that, and if there's another error, please copy and paste the exact
    >
    > command you used, and the full error message.

    running easy_install from the command line worked and BeautifulSoup4 seems to have installed, thanks for pointing out my mistake

    the only problem I have now is that importing beautifulsoup into a .py fileI wrote generates an error (I'm using ActiveState Komodo Edit 7, is there another program you would recommend to a beginner like me?)

    trying to run the script gives an import error:
    ImportError: No module named BeautifulSoup

    importing other modules like os and urllib that came with the python installation work without problems

    looking online, all I've found were other accounts talking about a beautifulsoup.py that should be in the C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages directory, butI've found no such thing from the installation anywhere in the Python folder (funnily enough, I did a drive search with Everything and found a BeautifulSoup.py in my autodesk maya installation)

    am I somewhere near the mark? or am I off completely?

    lostguru, Dec 29, 2012
  5. lostguru

    lostguru Guest

    On Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:33:59 AM UTC-5, Joel Goldstick wrote:
    > You should read the BeautifulSoup tutorial/documentation.  If I remember correctly you do
    > from bs4 import BeautifulSoup
    >
    > Look at this tutorial to get started: http://www.crummy.com/software/BeautifulSoup/bs4/doc/

    ah got it, I was told to use import -modulename- for pretty much everythingby a classmate; I'll definitely look into the documentation

    thanks again for the help guys

    lostguru, Dec 29, 2012
  6. lostguru

    lostguru, Dec 29, 2012
  7. On Fri, 28 Dec 2012 20:40:59 -0800 (PST), lostguru
    <> declaimed the following in
    gmane.comp.python.general:

    > sorry about that; I was using the setuptools package from pypi python [ http://pypi.python.org/pypi/setuptools ]; I downloaded the ez_setup.py file from under the 64-bit windows installation section and ran that (by double clicking on it, I hope this wasn't another noob mistake lol)

    It could be... Many downloaded installation packages want you to
    manually run a "setup.py" program with a command line argument...
    Something like:

    python setup.py install

    You'd have to read the documentation provided by the package to find
    out.
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/