noob question How do I run a Python script.

CarlP

How do I run a Python script. I have one that gmail loader needs to
run on my email box. Here's the script

http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/cleanmbox.py

I can't seem to find what I need to run it. I installed python, run
the interpreter and the script , but all it will do is say invalid
syntax.

Thanks

kyosohma

How do I run a Python script. I have one that gmail loader needs to
run on my email box. Here's the script

http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/cleanmbox.py

I can't seem to find what I need to run it. I installed python, run
the interpreter and the script , but all it will do is say invalid
syntax.

Thanks

Please post the traceback too. That will aid in helping you.

Mike

Matimus

I installed python, run the interpreter and the script...

Are you trying to run the script from the interpreter? You _can_ run
scripts from the interpreter, but it isn't as simple as typing the
name of the script. To me, that is what it sounds like you are trying
to do. I don't know what environment you are using, but at the command
line (terminal) you should just type the following to run the script:

python cleanmbox.py

Actually, if you are using *nix use chmod +x chanmbox.py to tell the
os it is executable, and then just run "cleanbox.py". If you are using
windows, then you don't even have to do that, just double click on it.

-Matt

Bruno Desthuilliers

CarlP a écrit :
How do I run a Python script.

usually, it's:

$ python /path/to/somescript.py arg1 argN

on a command line prompt.
I have one that gmail loader needs to
run on my email box. Here's the script

http://www.marklyon.org/gmail/cleanmbox.py

I can't seem to find what I need to run it. I installed python, run
the interpreter and the script , but all it will do is say invalid
syntax.

Am I right if I guess you did something like :

bruno@bibi ~ $ python
Python 2.4.3 (#1, Mar 12 2007, 23:32:01)
[GCC 3.3.4 20040623 (Gentoo Linux 3.3.4-r1, ssp-3.3.2-2, pie-8.7.6)] on
linux2
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. File "<stdin>", line 1
cleanmbox.py testmbox
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
?-)

FWIW, I ran the script (the correct way) on a copy of a mozilla mbox
dir, and it seemed to work.