Noob question

nanoeyes

Hello?
I'm currently installed Ubuntu 8.10. I'm not a Linux person, so I
don't know a lot about it. The reason I installed Ubuntu is just for
EMAN (http://blake.bcm.tmc.edu/eman/). EMAN 1.8 software requires
Python 2.4 not 2.5 which comes with Ubuntu 8.10.

I installed Python 2.4 by typing sudo apt-get install python2.4
Still EMAN doesn't work for me.

Do I have to downgrade 2.5 to 2.4 or install lower version of Ubuntu?

Bruno Desthuilliers

(e-mail address removed) a écrit :

Hi.

Ok, first, this is mostly OT here - your question should have gone to
either the project's maintainer or any Ubuntu forum /
mailing-list/whatever.

I'm currently installed Ubuntu 8.10. I'm not a Linux person, so I
don't know a lot about it. The reason I installed Ubuntu is just for
EMAN (http://blake.bcm.tmc.edu/eman/). EMAN 1.8 software requires
Python

From the doc, it doesn't *require* Python at all:

"""
Some others are optional, like boost.python, Python if you need run
Pyhton program in EMAN or want to program in Python with EMAN, you can
turn this option off by switching ENABLE_PYTHON to off
"""
http://blake.bcm.tmc.edu/emanwiki/EMAN_COMPILE_UNIX
2.4 not 2.5 which comes with Ubuntu 8.10.

I installed Python 2.4 by typing sudo apt-get install python2.4

You'll probably need python2.4-dev too.
Still EMAN doesn't work for me.

Did you try to recompile it (eventually providing the path to your
python2.4 install) ?
Do I have to downgrade 2.5 to 2.4

Not sure this is an option - IIRC, Ubuntu 8.10 depends on Python 2.5.
or install lower version of Ubuntu?

This would at best be a short/medium-term workaround.
<OT>