Noob: tk question

petermichaux

Hi,

I don't know much about the Java and Perl worlds but how do Swing and
Tk match up? I've read Swing is slow. Can Tk do all the things Swing
can do (Trees, tabs, drag and drop, etc)?

Thanks,
Peter

Dave Weaver

I don't know much about the Java and Perl worlds but how do Swing and
Tk match up? I've read Swing is slow. Can Tk do all the things Swing
can do (Trees, tabs, drag and drop, etc)?

I know nothing about Swing, but Tk can certainly do trees, tabs and
drag'n'drop.

Install the Tk module and run the 'widget' demo program that comes
with it to see all the things you can do.

jl_post

Dave said:
Install the Tk module and run the 'widget' demo program
that comes with it to see all the things you can do.

Oh, wow... I didn't know until just now that this "widget" demo
existed. (I knew a similar demo existed for Tcl/Tk, but I didn't know
there was one on the Perl side.)

I wish I knew about this demo several years ago. Would you mind
taking a time machine back in time four years and e-mailing me this
information? (just joking, of course)

Anyway, thank-you very much for the useful information.

-- Jean-Luc