    good books or sites, etc? I have some vb experience and no unix experience (working on that too).
    Any help is very much appreaciated.

    TIA!!

    Guest, Jun 24, 2004

  2. <> wrote in news:VuqCc.165954$Ly.35985@attbi_s01:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Would like to learn perl but not sure where to even start. Does anyone
    > have suggestions good books or sites, etc? I have some vb experience
    > and no unix experience (working on that too). Any help is very much
    > appreaciated.

    Assuming you have Perl installed, check the FAQ:

    perldoc -q learn

    Also: http://learn.perl.org/

    --
    A. Sinan Unur

    A. Sinan Unur, Jun 24, 2004

    Ken Sington Guest

    Ken Sington, Jun 24, 2004

    Daedalus Guest

    I'm a newb myself, learning Perl for maybe a week now. I started with
    O'Reilly's "Learning Perl (3rd Ed) and I must say that it's pretty good
    starting point. With the standard Perl Documentation of course.

    DAE

    Daedalus, Jun 24, 2004
  5. IMHO, if you've got a few languages under your belt already, you'll waste
    a bit of time on the basics with a lot of the "intro" guides. If you've
    coded in other things, what you need is a
    guide to the tools available in Perl, rather than the language in
    general (which should be intuitive given experience in other
    languages and all the syntactic sugar in perl). For that I'd go
    with the Perl Cookbook, also an O'reilly book.

    But if VB is all you've got, may I suggest a more structured language
    first? There are lots of popular ones, and the knowledge will easily
    transfer over to perl. The advantage is that you'll be able to
    write robust code easier after you are forced to do it with
    structure. At least that was my experience (I started from BASIC
    before there was VB).

    Rusty Phillips, Jun 24, 2004