    GAT d-@ s:- a-? C++ UL++ P+ L+ E++ W++>$ N K w++++>$ O- M- V- PS+ PE Y PGP t
    5 X+ R+ ()R++ tv- b++ DI++ D+ G++ e h- r+ y++>$
    www.calquemare.com
    Alucard Calquemare, Mar 18, 2007

  2. Alucard Calquemare wrote:
    > Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come here
    > with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download) an html
    > for dummies book or something ?

    Human nature, most folks are lazy and want someone to answer it for them
    rather than discover it for themselves.

    Actually we don't mind the questions, they can be interesting when there
    is a challenge. But so many questions are already answered, multiple
    times, within the NG. If newbies would just do a quick search *before*
    posting. How may times can we answer a question such as "How to I force
    a file to download and not open in the browser" question?

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 18, 2007

  3. Alucard Calquemare wrote:

    > Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come
    > here with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download)
    > an html for dummies book or something ?

    Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
    people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
    to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.

    But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
    here are *two* answers:

    PHP.

    ..htaccess.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2007
  4. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Alucard Calquemare wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come
    >> here with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download)
    >> an html for dummies book or something ?

    > Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
    > people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
    > to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.
    >
    > But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
    > here are *two* answers:
    >
    > PHP.
    >
    > .htaccess.

    A couple more:

    Use 'em' or '%' not 'px'

    margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;

    I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 18, 2007
  5. Jonathan N. Little wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >> Alucard Calquemare wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come
    >>> here with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download)
    >>> an html for dummies book or something ?

    >> Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
    >> people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
    >> to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.
    >>
    >> But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
    >> here are *two* answers:
    >>
    >> PHP.
    >>
    >> .htaccess.
    >>

    > A couple more:
    >
    > Use 'em' or '%' not 'px'
    >
    > margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;
    >
    > I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

    Saves a lot of bandwidth, eh? Here's another:

    Plunder *before* you burn.

    Blinky the Shark, Mar 18, 2007
  6. Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    >> I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

    > Saves a lot of bandwidth, eh? Here's another:
    >
    > Plunder *before* you burn.

    LOL!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Mar 18, 2007
  7. Alucard Calquemare

    Guest

    On Mar 18, 9:03 am, "Alucard Calquemare" <>
    wrote:
    > Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come here
    > with more questions than answer?

    Like you,
    , Mar 19, 2007
  8. Alucard Calquemare

    Karl S Guest

    Alucard Calquemare wrote:
    > Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come here
    > with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download) an html
    > for dummies book or something ?

    I use this group as another resource in addition to the books I've
    bought. I've asked my share of questions that, looking back, were pretty
    stupid. But those books...
    Some of the books turned out to be "browser-specific", some turned out
    to be obsolete, and some were just plain unintelligible for me. Not
    their fault, I'm sure. There's just a wide gap between "expert /
    professional" and "spare-time dabbler with not much spare time."
    It's especially helpful to have other people asking the stupid questions
    so I can read the answers here without looking stupid myself..!
    Karl S, Mar 19, 2007
  9. Alucard Calquemare

    STop Guest

    Karl S wrote:

    > It's especially helpful to have other people asking the stupid questions
    > so I can read the answers here without looking stupid myself..!

    Sssh!... Don't scare them away, please!

    --
    STop
    STop, Mar 19, 2007
  10. Alucard Calquemare

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 18 Mar, 15:03, "Alucard Calquemare" <> wrote:
    > Why don't they buy (or download) an html for dummies book or something ?

    Maybe they're not dummies?

    Also, most (almost all) HTML books are badly written, obsolete and
    frequently just plain wrong. Many of the "questions" posted here are
    of the form, "I used this piece of code from the book / website
    example, why does my page look broken?"
    Andy Dingley, Mar 19, 2007
  11. Jonathan N. Little wrote:

    > I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

    <?php
    echo date('Y-j-Y m:H iO s d;d;d');
    ?>

    but I really don't know why anyone would want the date in that format.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

    * = I'm getting there!
    Toby A Inkster, Mar 19, 2007
  12. Alucard Calquemare

    Joe (GKF) Guest

    In article <>,
    lid says...
    > Alucard Calquemare wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come
    > > here with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download)
    > > an html for dummies book or something ?

    > Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
    > people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
    > to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.
    >
    > But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
    > here are *two* answers:
    >
    > PHP.
    >
    > .htaccess.

    I laughed. Out loud. Really.
    This is a rare case of Usenet-generated LOL, and it took a fish to make
    it happen.
    On another, equally off-topic note; it's been raining here on the farm.
    We got 14mm in 36hours.
    To bring the post back on-topic, here is my answer-de-jour

    No, frames suck.

    and the ever-popular ...

    Stop wanting that.

    --
    Advice is cheap, so always give the best. - Alfred Lawson
    http://graspages.cjb.cc/
    Joe (GKF), Mar 20, 2007