noob

Alucard Calquemare

Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come here
with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download) an html
for dummies book or something ?

Jonathan N. Little

Alucard said:
Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come here
with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download) an html
for dummies book or something ?

Human nature, most folks are lazy and want someone to answer it for them
rather than discover it for themselves.

Actually we don't mind the questions, they can be interesting when there
is a challenge. But so many questions are already answered, multiple
times, within the NG. If newbies would just do a quick search *before*
posting. How may times can we answer a question such as "How to I force
a file to download and not open in the browser" question?

Blinky the Shark

Alucard said:
Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come
here with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download)
an html for dummies book or something ?

Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.

But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
here are *two* answers:

PHP.

..htaccess.

Jonathan N. Little

Blinky said:
Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.

But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
here are *two* answers:

PHP.

.htaccess.
A couple more:

Use 'em' or '%' not 'px'

margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;

I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

Blinky the Shark

Jonathan said:
A couple more:

Use 'em' or '%' not 'px'

margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto;

I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

Saves a lot of bandwidth, eh? Here's another:

Plunder *before* you burn.

Karl S

Alucard said:
Hi, I'm kinda new around here, but is it me or most of the people come here
with more questions than answer? Why don't they buy (or download) an html
for dummies book or something ?
I use this group as another resource in addition to the books I've
bought. I've asked my share of questions that, looking back, were pretty
stupid. But those books...
Some of the books turned out to be "browser-specific", some turned out
to be obsolete, and some were just plain unintelligible for me. Not
their fault, I'm sure. There's just a wide gap between "expert /
professional" and "spare-time dabbler with not much spare time."
It's especially helpful to have other people asking the stupid questions
so I can read the answers here without looking stupid myself..!

STop

Karl said:
It's especially helpful to have other people asking the stupid questions
so I can read the answers here without looking stupid myself..!

Sssh!... Don't scare them away, please!

Andy Dingley

Why don't they buy (or download) an html for dummies book or something ?

Maybe they're not dummies?

Also, most (almost all) HTML books are badly written, obsolete and
frequently just plain wrong. Many of the "questions" posted here are
of the form, "I used this piece of code from the book / website
example, why does my page look broken?"

Toby A Inkster

Jonathan said:
I like this, easier giving out the answers first ;-)

<?php
echo date('Y-j-Y m:H iO s d;d;d');
?>

but I really don't know why anyone would want the date in that format.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
Geek of ~ HTML/SQL/Perl/PHP/Python*/Apache/Linux

* = I'm getting there!

Joe (GKF)

Uh..."more questions than answer"? Well, yeah. It's pretty normal for
people to start a thread to ask a question as versus starting a thread
to give an answer to a quesiton that was not asked.

But just to balance things out a bit for you, here's an answer. Heck,
here are *two* answers:

PHP.

.htaccess.
I laughed. Out loud. Really.
This is a rare case of Usenet-generated LOL, and it took a fish to make
it happen.
On another, equally off-topic note; it's been raining here on the farm.
We got 14mm in 36hours.
To bring the post back on-topic, here is my answer-de-jour

No, frames suck.

and the ever-popular ...

Stop wanting that.