    autoConfig option. I am not low on memory.

    I am using Windows XP Pro, IIS 5.1, .Net framework 2.0.50727

    -Rusty
    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 8, 2005

  2. Rusty Shackleford

    David Browne Guest

    "Rusty Shackleford" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Is it normal behavior for the aspnet_wp.exe process to exit immediately
    > after starting? This is happening to me without any errors in the
    > application event log. No matter what ASP.Net application I run, I get a
    > Session_End and an Application_End event right after my first page loads.
    > This is some sort of a problem, right?

    Yes.
    > I even get this behavior with the default project created by the Visual
    > Studio "ASP.Net Web Page" wizard. Under what conditions should your
    > session and application end prematurely without any event log
    > notification? I have tried several machine.config settings for the
    > processModel, including the autoConfig option. I am not low on memory.

    None.
    > I am using Windows XP Pro, IIS 5.1, .Net framework 2.0.50727

    Try the file-based web project in VS2005. It doesn't need IIS.

    David
    David Browne, Oct 8, 2005

  3. Hi, Rusty.

    If you've been editing machine.config,
    you may have introduced a fatal error into it.

    Copy machine.config.default to machine.config
    and test to see if the problem still occurs.

    machine.config.default is in the same directory as machine.config.

    If the problem persists,
    I'd uninstall the .Net Framework, and reinstall it.

    If the problem *still* persists, bug it at the Feedback Center :
    http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/productfeedback/

    You must login with a Passport account to be able to file bugs.

    Juan T. Llibre, ASP.NET MVP
    ASP.NET FAQ : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    ======================================

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 8, 2005
  4. I started by using a file-based web project, and it runs just fine under the
    ASP.Net Development server. In that mode, my sessions and applications stay
    alive.

    Only when I run under IIS and the aspnet_wp.exe process do I see this
    behavior. That makes me think there is something wrong with my .Net or my
    IIS. I'm using the .Net framework from the PDC. Maybe there is a bug using
    it with IIS5?

    -Rusty

    "David Browne" <davidbaxterbrowne no potted > wrote in
    message news:...

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 8, 2005
  5. Thanks for the suggestion, but I only started mucking around with
    machine.config after I was convinced I was not doing anything wrong in my
    ASP.Net pages. I certainly tried the default file.

    I submitted this problem to the feedback center on Thursday. It was
    promptly closed with a "could not reproduce" comment.

    It is such a blatant problem, that I am wondering if there is a problem with
    my framework install.

    Just to be clear, when you run a default empty ASP.Net project created by
    the VS wizard, your aspnet_wp.exe process continues to run for a while. At
    least until the sessions timeout, right?

    -Rusty

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 8, 2005
  6. Hi, Rusty.

    re:
    > It is such a blatant problem, that I am wondering if there is a problem with my
    > framework install.

    There very well may be ( a problem ).
    That why I suggested install/reinstall as a second option.

    It doesn't take too long to do the install/reinstall,
    and no possible harm can come out of it, so yes, go ahead.

    Clear the .net install logs from your temp directory
    after you uninstall the framework.

    That way, you'll have a fresh set of logs to append to a new bug filing.

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 8, 2005
  7. Thanks Juan. I will do uninstall/reinstall next like you suggest. I was
    hesitant to do that because I think it is going to make me uninstall SQL
    Server 2005 first. Too bad I left my VC2005 DVD at the office. :(

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 8, 2005
  8. re:
    >make me uninstall SQL Server 2005 first

    Some SQL 2005 versions only run with particular .Net versions.
    You have to keep SQL 2005 and the .Net Framework versions in synch.

    Remember, you only have to install/reinstall the .Net Framework.
    You don't need to uninstall/reinstall the full VC2005!

    You can uninstall the .Net Framework from the
    "Add or Remove Programs" applet in Control Panel.

    To reinstall, look for dotnetfx.exe in the DVD.

    You could also download ( it's only around 23MB ) the
    ..Net Framework version you need from the Download Center :

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/search.aspx?displaylang=en

    If you're running Beta 2, the version is 2.0.50215.45, and it's at :
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...8f-287e-4c7e-9a4a-a4ecff40fc8e&DisplayLang=en

    If you're running the Release Candidate, download the
    correct version from MSDN Subscriber Downloads.

    Juan T. Llibre, Oct 8, 2005
  9. Juan,

    I uninstalled/reinstalled the .Net Framework 2.0.50727, and I still have
    this problem. I have already reported this as a bug to the feedback
    website, and they closed it saying they "could not reproduce". I guess I am
    SOL.

    It's not like my applications are being recycled. They don't restart. The
    sessions are ended, and the worker process exits. That's it.

    Is anyone else out there using 2.0.50727 from the PDC? Are you running on
    Windows XP with IIS 5.1? Do your InProc sessions survive?

    Rusty Shackleford, Oct 11, 2005