Not a request, an anomaly

thedarkman

As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

the above is a screenshot. This website which I edit - really a
directory on my site - was updated tonight. I added the letter at the
very bottom of this page

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/marktaha/taha_letters_scans_4.html

the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets, but when I
checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
called?) in lieu.

I fiddled around including copying and pasting from my site including
the quote “as this quote from his website shows...”

and it still renders as blocks. I also updated my on-line
bibliography, and when I linked directly from

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/marktaha/taha_letters_scans_4.html#jan-19-2012

presto

perfect

Try it yourself and see what you get. As I said, these machines don't
obey the laws of physics.

Ben Bacarisse

the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets,

I think you mean "quotes" not "brackets".
but when I
checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
called?) in lieu.

What you see will vary from browser to browser (and from system to system).
I fiddled around including copying and pasting from my site including
the quote “as this quote from his website shows...â€

and it still renders as blocks. I also updated my on-line
bibliography, and when I linked directly from

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/marktaha/taha_letters_scans_4.html#jan-19-2012

presto

perfect

Nope. That page link forces the browser to guess the character encoding
(all of your pages do this) so there's a chance you'll get lucky -- it
all depend how the browser guesses. By the way, you have the same
problem on you own pages.
Try it yourself and see what you get. As I said, these machines don't
obey the laws of physics.

They do. You need to read up on character encodings and then ensure
that your pages is served with an HTTP header that matches the encoding
you choose to use for the page.

thedarkman

They do.  You need to read up on character encodings and then ensure
that your pages is served with an HTTP header that matches the encoding
you choose to use for the page.

You mean this of course

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

I will ensure this appears at the top of all my files from now on.

P E Schoen

"thedarkman" wrote in message
As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like
to see this.

I won't bother jumping through hoops and being urged to sign up and pay just
to look at a graphic file. Get your own server or at least use a free one
that doesn't have all the annoying rigmarole, such as www.tinypic.com. And
with them you can even find the native URL for the image and bypass their
ads and user interface.

As for the rest of your "problems", they are only of interest on a
sociopathetic level as insight into your need to ignore reasonable advice
and then proclaim your astonishment at things working weirdly. You are
certainly the "king of quirks mode"!

Paul
www.muttleydog.com

Tim Streater

thedarkman said:
As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

Well I examined this page, but couldn't figure out what I was supposed
to do. There was no obvious sign of anything that relates to your post.
[...]

What are you getting at? You've given two links to the same page. Why
would one look different to the other?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

P said:
I won't bother jumping through hoops and being urged to sign up and pay
just to look at a graphic file. Get your own server or at least use a
free one that doesn't have all the annoying rigmarole, such as
www.tinypic.com. And with them you can even find the native URL for the
image and bypass their ads and user interface.

It's really strange that he posts a screenshot on some pay site, eh?
After all, he *does* have his own web space... :)

I don't know what he's talking about because the comment about his
"brackets" seems to refer to an image at his site. At least that is where
the "Sydenham" text seems to be.

<http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/marktaha/mt-sun-jan-3-2012.jpg>

Ben Bacarisse

It's best not to quote sig blocks, even short ones.
You mean this of course

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN">

No, I don't. Entering "character encoding" and "HTTP header" into a
search engine might help.
I will ensure this appears at the top of all my files from now on.

That won't fix any of the problems and it may cause new ones. Your
pages don't use HTML 4.01, so there is nothing to be gained by adding a
DOCTYPE line that says they do.

Martin Edwards

As you people have been so wonderful, I thought you would like to see
this.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8d1uq7

the above is a screenshot. This website which I edit - really a
directory on my site - was updated tonight. I added the letter at the
very bottom of this page

http://www.infotextmanuscripts.org/marktaha/taha_letters_scans_4.html

the words Sydenham, SE London were put in curly brackets, but when I
checked the page I saw the blocks (does anyone know what they're
called?) in lieu.

It's funny to see an old dinosaur like you standing in a new dinosaur's
shoes (Dinah Shore's shoes?)

Martin Edwards

I think you mean "quotes" not "brackets".

What you see will vary from browser to browser (and from system to system).

Nope. That page link forces the browser to guess the character encoding
(all of your pages do this) so there's a chance you'll get lucky -- it
all depend how the browser guesses. By the way, you have the same
problem on you own pages.
Hey, you from Baltimore?

Martin Edwards

in message

I won't bother jumping through hoops and being urged to sign up and pay
just to look at a graphic file. Get your own server or at least use a
free one that doesn't have all the annoying rigmarole, such as
www.tinypic.com. And with them you can even find the native URL for the
image and bypass their ads and user interface.

As for the rest of your "problems", they are only of interest on a
sociopathetic level as insight into your need to ignore reasonable
advice and then proclaim your astonishment at things working weirdly.
You are certainly the "king of quirks mode"!

Paul
www.muttleydog.com

Yeah right. Stop that pigeon now!