Not a Valid Virtual Path

Larry Bud

....error when trying to build a project on a port other than 80 (on a
remote server). Happens with VS 2005.

I've google the hell out of this and I find people with the same
issue, but never any solution.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully, WITHOUT getting an
alternate IP address for the box? TIA.

rwhoman

...error when trying to build a project on a port other than 80 (on a
remote server). Happens with VS 2005.

I've google the hell out of this and I find people with the same
issue, but never any solution.

Has anyone been able to do this successfully, WITHOUT getting an
alternate IP address for the box? TIA.

I had the same issue when trying to connect to a server at the root.
But then I tried creating a new website, and I allowed Visual Studio
to create a subfolder below the root (it wanted to anyway). Somehow
this is a virtual directory and when the pages are added to this
folder (thus you would view it as http://servername.net:8080/website/
the page functions as expected. Now when I did this I had to manually
add the default.aspx and the web.config files as they weren't created
automatically for some weird reason.

Here are the steps I took.
create new website -> type ASP.NET website
Location HTTP:
click browse
type http://servername:port/website and click Create New Website
the path is in that box already. Click Create
authenticate with an administrator user on the server
Click open.

Now here I got an error that it couldn' create my Default.aspx and I
just clicked ok. Added and edited the default.aspx and added and
edited the web.config.

Now at least I can develop on at the server; though I haven't gotten
very far to find out if there are other pitfalls to needing this
subfolder.

rick