    a fix and can't find one.
    Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Many thanks.
    JWB
    John W. Burns, Dec 25, 2005

  2. John W. Burns

    John Bokma Guest

    "John W. Burns" <> wrote:

    > For some inexplicable reason (at least to me) my windows perl
    > application has ceased to load.
    > When I call perl\bin\perl.exe I receive the message "not a valid win32
    > application." OS is Windows XP.
    > I have never had this problem in the past. I re-installed Perl from
    > Active State and still receive the same

    Did you backup & delete the entire C:\Perl folder before you did this?

    > error message. Have searched Active State, CPAN, Monks, Microsoft,
    > etc for a fix and can't find one.
    > Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Many thanks.

    C:\Perl\bin>md5sum *.exe
    4805e2457c91d9c01fff5bc8607c8f84 *a2p.exe
    3bec3e4baa0fca7b17056ea5fa2f85f8 *perl.exe
    3bec3e4baa0fca7b17056ea5fa2f85f8 *perl5.8.7.exe
    cf62af3e44035c7316a3d996d6069b79 *perlglob.exe
    6fafdb95ea836b3262e3f5cbb799b4c2 *wperl.exe

    perl -v gives:

    Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall

    Binary build 815 [211909] provided by ActiveState
    http://www.ActiveState.com

    I ploink googlegroups.com :)
    John Bokma, Dec 25, 2005

  3. John W. Burns

    Henry Law Guest

    John W. Burns wrote:
    > For some inexplicable reason (at least to me) my windows perl application
    > has ceased to load.
    > When I call perl\bin\perl.exe I receive the message "not a valid win32
    > application." OS is Windows XP.
    > I have never had this problem in the past. I re-installed Perl from Active
    > State and still receive the same
    > error message.

    Hmm; sounds serious. My first thought would have been to re-install but
    you've done that. Presumably you can't run "perl -v" to compare against
    this, but in case it helps my Perl is

    > This is perl, v5.8.7 built for MSWin32-x86-multi-thread
    > (with 7 registered patches, see perl -V for more detail)
    >
    > Copyright 1987-2005, Larry Wall
    >
    > Binary build 813 [148120] provided by ActiveState http://www.ActiveState.com
    > ActiveState is a division of Sophos.
    > Built Jun 6 2005 13:36:37

    And the module itself is reported by XP as 5.8.7.813, size 45,135 bytes,
    dated 06/06/2005 12:37.

    Any chance of some malware futzing with Windows XP itself? Trojans and
    rootkits routinely try to mask or kill other processes - perhaps one
    targets perl. Anti-virus, anti-spyware up to date?

    What happens when you launch a ".pl" file from Windows Explorer? Should
    be the same thing but can you confirm?
    Henry Law, Dec 25, 2005
  4. "John W. Burns" <> wrote in message
    > For some inexplicable reason (at least to me) my windows perl application
    > has ceased to load.
    > When I call perl\bin\perl.exe I receive the message "not a valid win32
    > application." OS is Windows XP.
    > I have never had this problem in the past. I re-installed Perl from

    Active
    > State and still receive the same
    > error message. Have searched Active State, CPAN, Monks, Microsoft, etc

    for
    > a fix and can't find one.
    > Any ideas on how to solve this problem? Many thanks.
    > JWB

    Was able to resolve "not a valid win32" problem with Active State perl
    installation.
    Checked per suggestions I received form list and re-ran virus and spyware,
    plus Symantec
    Systems Works to diagnose winddows bugs, although they all indicated none
    found..
    Uninstalled perl for second time, but had to use MoveOnBoot to delete some
    Active State files
    that received "access denied message" and couldn't delete through normal
    steps. After full
    deletion re-installed Active State Perl and the "not a valid win32 problem
    went away.
    Active State's Perl application is up and running again.
    Thanks for the suggestions on how to fix this problem.
    JWB
    John W. Burns, Dec 26, 2005