Not able to debug aspx page when called from winform

moondaddy

I had to repost this becuase I renewed-changed my msdn alias. Also, the
asnwer in the other past did not understand what I'm trying to do, so I'll
attempt to clarify.

I have a .net 2.0 winforms app that calls a web service which creates
creates a GUID and caches it, then passes the GUID back to the winform.
then it opens a aspx page and passes the GUID as a parameter. this GUID is
only cached for about 10 seconds and must be still cached for the page to
load. otherwise, the page redirects to a error page. all of this forces the
page to only be called from winforms app.

I can debug from the winform to the web service and back, but the code wont
step into the aspx page. I used to do this in a vb1.1 app and it worked
great. now I'm using c#2.0 and need to step into the aspx page.

The answer in my other post said to:

load the asp.net web app that hosts
the aspx page in a separate VS2005 instance and attach aspnet_wp.exe (if Win
XP or w3wp.exe for Win2003) process to the VS debugger (menu Deug | Attach
Process... and make sure the type is 'Managed').

This is not work. rather than not finding the cache and redirecting to an
error page, when the winform app calls the aspx page I get the IE error:

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

Like I said before, this exact same thing worked fine in vb.net 1.1. Can
someone help with this?

Thanks.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi moondaddy,

As for the ASP.NET web page application, is it in the same solution with
your winform and how did your winform app call it? Using a webbrowser to
navigate to it or using webrequest component?

As far as I know, Visual Studio 2005 only definitely support debugging step
into Webservice rather than web page based application.

#Stepping Into an XML Web Service
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/zc57803s(VS.80).aspx

Also, the suggestion about launch a new VS ide and attache the aspx
application process is reasonable since you need to attach to the running
process so as to debug it.

Please let me know what's the problem you met when you try launching a new
IDE to debug the aspx process.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead