    the no cookies condition?

    Thanks for your help in advance,
    --Greg

    Greg Livengood, Oct 21, 2003

  2. Hi Greg,

    Based on my research and experience, I would like to share the following
    information with you.

    Firstly, the privacy settings only affect Web sites in the Internet zone.
    If we are testing against the web sites that are located in local intranet
    zone, for example, the localhost, the privacy setting will not affect in
    such case. To disallow cookies in local intranet zone, we should set the
    security level in this zone to high (The default security level for the
    Local intranet zone is Medium, therefore, Internet Explorer will allow all
    cookies from Web sites in this zone to be saved on our computer and read by
    the Web site that created them.)

    Secondly, when we change your privacy settings, the changes might not
    affect cookies that are already on our computer. If we want to ensure that
    all of the cookies on our computer meet our privacy settings, we should
    delete all of the existing cookies on our computer. When we return to Web
    sites that previously had saved cookies on our computer, the Web sites that
    meet our privacy settings will save cookies on our computer again. The Web
    sites that do not meet our privacy settings will not be allowed to save
    cookies on our computer, and might not function properly.

    Does it answer your question? If I have misunderstood your concern, please
    feel free to let me know.

    Best regards,

    Jacob Yang
    Microsoft Online Partner Support
    Get Secure! ┬ĘC www.microsoft.com/security

    Jacob Yang [MSFT], Oct 22, 2003

  3. "Greg Livengood" <> wrote in message
    > I need to test my ASP.net web application for the case that the client
    > browser doesn't support cookies or for the case that cookies are
    > turned off on the client browswer.
    > What is odd is that when I go to the IE (6.0) Tools | Internet
    > Options | Privacy Tab and select "Block All Cookies" level the
    > following still returns true in my Page_Load
    > Request.Browser.Cookies
    > This plus the fact that the client side javascript and my ASP.Net
    > application both read and write cookies baffles me. What am I not
    > doing correctly to disable cookies in my client browser to simulate
    > the no cookies condition?

    Request.Browser.Cookies only tells you whether the browser supports cookies.
    For example, it tells you that Internet Explorer supports cookies.

    It does not say whether a particular cookie, if sent to the client, would be
    returned to your server code. If you want to know that, you'll have to send
    a cookie to the client, then redirect to a page which will determine whether
    the cookie you sent to the client has been received by the server. I usually
    put something unique into the cookie so I can be sure I got the cookie I
    sent today, not a cookie I sent last week.

    --
    John

    John Saunders, Oct 22, 2003