    after a long running one completes. Does this make sense
    to anybody? Of course it doesn't always happen but it
    does pretty regularly.

    Wil Burton, Aug 11, 2003

  2. Wil Burton

    krishna Guest

    If there are too many concurrent connections to a long
    running web service, asp.net may run out of threads.
    You can configure asp.net threading by changing
    processmodel section of machine.config. But increasing
    threads in asp.net thread pool on a single processor
    machine may have side effects (I don't remember the side
    effects, sorry!).
    You may also look at some asynchronous solution which
    runs your web service in a seperate thread that does not
    belong to asp.net thread pool.
    Here is the link to an MSDN article.
    url=/library/en-us/dnservice/html/service07222003.asp

    Krishna

    krishna, Aug 12, 2003

  3. Wil Burton

    Wil Burton Guest

    I looked at performance on the server in question. I
    looked at the Thread\aspnet_w01...\ThreadState counter
    there were 20 of them. They were all in the wait state,
    which leads me to believe there were plenty of threads in
    the threadpool. Also, its is pretty decent sized machine
    (2 proc PIII + 1GB RAM) and the load on the server was
    minimal.

    Wil Burton, Aug 12, 2003