Not even a newbee. Good at school course. please advise good start

sikka noel

Hi guyz,

I rencenly finished by college book on c++. I have done data
structures & operating systems as well. I thought that at this point i
know C++ completely. However when I go on internet and look for source
codes of C++. They have all these wierd LPCSTR unsigned signed dword
and all that lingo that i never studied in my college course. and it
makes me feel very weak in C++, even though i can write any project in
my c++ book very easily and fast. Can somebody tell me where is a good
start to learn this professional lingo of c++. Are there are good
microsoft tutorials? Are there some easy tutorials on network or
windows programming available?

Please give me some advice.

Thanks.

Victor Bazarov

sikka noel said:
I rencenly finished by college book on c++. I have done data
structures & operating systems as well. I thought that at this point i
know C++ completely. However when I go on internet and look for source
codes of C++. They have all these wierd LPCSTR unsigned signed dword
and all that lingo that i never studied in my college course. and it
makes me feel very weak in C++, even though i can write any project in
my c++ book very easily and fast. Can somebody tell me where is a good
start to learn this professional lingo of c++. Are there are good
microsoft tutorials? Are there some easy tutorials on network or
windows programming available?

Please begin by asking in the right newsgroup. This is not it.
You need comp.os.ms-windows.programmer or any appropriate one from
the msnews.microsoft.com server. Good luck!

Victor

P.S. LPCSTR is not "professional lingo of c++".

Agent Mulder

SN> Are there are good microsoft tutorials? Are there
SN> some easy tutorials on network or windows
SN> programming available?

You will have a wonderful time if you
descend into the tutorial on Windows
programming 'in the raw', using classes
and templates to very quickly abstract
away the Windows-internals, that starts on

http://www.relisoft.com/Win32/index.htm

If you can afford it buy 'Programming Windows
95' by Charles Petzold, very famous. Just today
I downloaded the examples from the book from

ftp://ftp.charlespetzold.com/ProgWin95/

using drag-and-drop :)

-X

sikka noel

Victor Bazarov said:
Please begin by asking in the right newsgroup. This is not it.
You need comp.os.ms-windows.programmer or any appropriate one from
the msnews.microsoft.com server. Good luck!
jeez, i didn't know that. there we go you have taught something if not
cpp. i expected i could ask about anything related to cpp in
comp.lang."c++". windows programming was one of examples. and i
thought that i could find the good people to reach here.

-s

Victor Bazarov

sikka noel said:
[...] i expected i could ask about anything related to cpp in
comp.lang."c++". windows programming was one of examples. and i
thought that i could find the good people to reach here.

Are you the same troll that comes here every now and then to
complain about inability to get any answers to questions that
are off-topic? If so, say it and I'll place your address in
my killfile. If not, start _listening_ to what people tell
you and your life will suddenly get better. This is a C++
_language_ newsgroup. Windows programming in _not_ part of
C++ language. That's why there are different newsgroups to
ask questions about Windows programming regardless of what
language you use. Is that something you comprehend?

E. Robert Tisdale

sikka said:
i expected i could ask about anything related to cpp in comp.lang."c++".

You can ask.
But that doesn't mean that this is the best place to get answers.
Victor's advice is sound and you would do well to follow it.

John Harrison

Tobias Langner said:
LPCSTR is actually a naming convention that MS uses for the win-api. I think
it stands for: Long Pointer to C-STRing

Long Pointer to Const STRing, actually. The C-ness is taken for granted and
the long is about 10 years obsolete.

john

Mike Wahler

sikka noel said:
"Victor Bazarov" <[email protected]> wrote in message
jeez, i didn't know that. there we go you have taught something if not
cpp. i expected i could ask about anything related to cpp in
comp.lang."c++". windows programming was one of examples.

"Windows programming" is in no way related to C++.

and i
thought that i could find the good people to reach here.

Many good people hang out here, but they only discuss
ISO standard C++, the topic of this newsgroup.

-Mike