not many people here

Mike Wahler

Wei said:
Why there are not many people here?

Noboby "is here". A newsgroup is a place to post
and read articles on a particular subject. This
is not a chat room. I.e. it's not 'real-time'.

All that being said, my experiences here indicate
that literally thousands of people post and read
here.

Did you have a question or comment about the
C++ programming language?

-Mike

Thomas Matthews

Wei said:
Why there are not many people here?

Depends on where here is.
"Wherever you go, there you are." -- Buckaroo Bonzai.

In some places, there are many people, others few.

"Oh, the places you will go."
"Come over to my house." -- Dr. Seuss

--
Thomas Matthews

C++ newsgroup welcome message:
http://www.slack.net/~shiva/welcome.txt
alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ faq:
Other sites:

jcoffin

[ ... ]

You seem to have forgotten the best of all:

Nobody goes there anymore. It's too crowded. -- Yogi Berra.

IMO, this is a serious danger when a newsgroup gets too much traffic --
the best-informed and most intelligent people typically find (or
create) new places to talk, leaving behind a crowd of "nobodies". I
honestly don't mean that as an insult -- it just happens to be the word
in the quote. One need not be world-famous to make useful and helpful
contributions, but the fact remains that many of those with the big
names really have earned them and excessive, poorly-focused traffic
seems a nearly sure-fire way of alienating most of them.

At the risk of mixing threads, I'd suggest that this is one superb
reason that C# should NOT be discussed here. I believe this newsgroup
probably already has more traffic than is really optimal, and I believe
broadening the focus would, if anything, reduce the amount of useful
information being posted.