Not STL newsgroup... Where?

Chris Mantoulidis

Is there a newsgroup that discusses non STL matters of C++?
(Preferably for GCC compilers).

(By non STL matters I mean things like sockets etc.)

BTW: Does this group talk about non STL matters?

Stephen Howe

BTW: Does this group talk about non STL matters?

This group talks about C++ language and library. That is more than "STL
matters".

It does not talk about hardware.
So questions on screen,keyboard,mouse etc are off-topic.

It does not talk about particular compiler implementations, linking, using
make etc
So questions on installing VC++, VC++ switches, Borland compilers etc are
off-topic

It does not talk about OS-related questions.
So how to make a DLL, Sockets etc are off-topic.

Hope that helps

Stephen Howe

jeffc

Chris Mantoulidis said:
Is there a newsgroup that discusses non STL matters of C++?
(Preferably for GCC compilers).

(By non STL matters I mean things like sockets etc.)

Sockets aren't a "matter of C++". You probably want something OS specific.

Guy Harrison

Chris said:
Is there a newsgroup that discusses non STL matters of C++?
(Preferably for GCC compilers).

gnu.g++.help for gnu specific C++ issues, comp.lang.c++ for standard
features.
(By non STL matters I mean things like sockets etc.)

comp.unix.programmer perhaps. Can't recall offhand if sockets are ontopic
there. It has an depth FAQ.
BTW: Does this group talk about non STL matters?

Re above.

Stewart Gordon

While it was 8/1/04 1:24 pm throughout the UK, Chris Mantoulidis
sprinkled little black dots on a white screen, and they fell thus:
Is there a newsgroup that discusses non STL matters of C++?

Of course. It's called comp.lang.c++.
(Preferably for GCC compilers).

Of course. It's called gnu.g++.help.
(By non STL matters I mean things like sockets etc.)

But IINM, then sockets etc. aren't a matter of C++ as such. That sounds
like an OS-specific question, best asked in an OS-specific 'group.
BTW: Does this group talk about non STL matters?

Which one?

Stewart.

Stewart Gordon

While it was 8/1/04 1:48 pm throughout the UK, Stephen Howe sprinkled
little black dots on a white screen, and they fell thus:

It does not talk about particular compiler implementations, linking, using
make etc
<snip>

Be careful. Those in gnu.g++.help who don't notice that this is a
crosspost'll get confused.

Stewart.

Chris Mantoulidis

Well I should have specified. I know c.l.c++ talks about STL so I
should just have asked gnu.g++.help :)

So you suggest OS newsgroups?

BTW: I posted on c.l.c++ as well for probable answers, in case you
were wondering.

Thanks,
cmad

Rolf Magnus

Chris said:
Well I should have specified. I know c.l.c++ talks about STL so I
should just have asked gnu.g++.help :)

So you suggest OS newsgroups?

It always depends on your question. If it's C++ _language_ specific
(which the Standard library is part of), post to clc++. If it involves
OS specific things like sockets, go to a newsgroup about programming
for your OS. If it's GCC specific, like e.g. GNU C++ extensions,
questions about compiler command line parameters, or getting a g++
cross compiler working, post to gnu.g++.help.