Not sure if this is a CSS or JS problem

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Paul F. Johnson, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I seem to be having a problem with a rework of a site I'm doing. If you
    look at http://146.87.55.8:82 on Opera, Moz or Konqueror, the site should
    show fine. Move to IE and the menu bar isn't right.

    That is at 1024x768

    If you reduce the resolution 800x600, you can see the menubar and the
    menus which are on the far right should be on the left. There is no text
    at all. These problems only happen on IE.

    If I remove the menubar, then the page displays to the "stop press" at the
    bottom (and then nothing after that). Again, this problem is only visible
    on IE.

    I've checked at w3c.org and the page validates as do the style sheets.

    Can anyone spot the problem?

    TIA

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Paul F. Johnson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:17:47 +0100, "Paul F. Johnson"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Hi,

    G'day.

    > I seem to be having a problem with a rework of a site I'm doing. If you
    > look at http://146.87.55.8:82 on Opera, Moz or Konqueror, the site should
    > show fine. Move to IE and the menu bar isn't right.

    Try adding clear: left; to your #container div.

    > I've checked at w3c.org and the page validates as do the style sheets.

    You must have changed the page since then, because the HTML doesn't
    validate now, though the errors have nothing to do with this problem.
    And it refused to validate the CSS at all. The CSS did validate (with
    lots of warnings) using the WDG validator, though.

    Nice site, BTW.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Hi,

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 08:52:50 +1000, Mark Parnell wrote:

    > On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 15:17:47 +0100, "Paul F. Johnson"
    > <> declared in alt.html:

    >> I seem to be having a problem with a rework of a site I'm doing. If you
    >> look at http://146.87.55.8:82 on Opera, Moz or Konqueror, the site
    >> should show fine. Move to IE and the menu bar isn't right.

    > Try adding clear: left; to your #container div.

    Seems to have done the trick. Thanks. Only problem now is that under IE,
    the page ends directly under the Stop Press in 800x600 (coincides with the
    bottom of the menu box - change the res and it re-appears)

    >> I've checked at w3c.org and the page validates as do the style sheets.

    > You must have changed the page since then, because the HTML doesn't
    > validate now, though the errors have nothing to do with this problem.

    Very odd! Local copies go through without a hitch!

    > Nice site, BTW.

    Thanks :)

    TTFN

    Paul
    Paul F. Johnson, Aug 11, 2004
  4. Paul F. Johnson

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 09:41:15 +0100, "Paul F. Johnson"
    <> declared in alt.html:

    > Seems to have done the trick. Thanks. Only problem now is that under IE,
    > the page ends directly under the Stop Press in 800x600 (coincides with the
    > bottom of the menu box - change the res and it re-appears)

    It stops in a different place depending on your font size and screen
    width. It seems that it is always stopping at the bottom of the navbar
    div. Not entirely sure why. Try adding a <div id="footer"> at the bottom
    of the page. No need to put any content in it.

    > Very odd! Local copies go through without a hitch!

    Don't know why, unless your upload is changing the files somehow. It's
    due to your XHTML syntax on the <link> elements, BTW.

    Mark Parnell, Aug 12, 2004