    do (in this case JavaScript). If I can create a decent solution in
    JavaScript, why do anything more?

    Thankyou
    rich, Oct 6, 2007

  2. Gazing into my crystal ball I observed rich <> writing in

    > Hello all :)
    >
    > I need to create a dynamic data-driven site. I am wondering when I
    > should go the full database route, and when something much simpler

    will
    > do (in this case JavaScript). If I can create a decent solution in
    > JavaScript, why do anything more?
    >
    > Thankyou

    I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
    long run.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell at Home
    Arbpen Web Site Design Services
    Adrienne Boswell, Oct 6, 2007

  3. rich

    rich Guest

    > I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
    > long run.

    But,
    A) I would have to learn databases from scratch
    B) The amount of data is never going to be vast
    rich, Oct 6, 2007
  4. rich wrote:
    >> I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
    >> long run.

    > But,
    > A) I would have to learn databases from scratch
    > B) The amount of data is never going to be vast

    Then save in a plain old text flat file and use some server-size Php,
    Perl, ASP to pull the records of the file file...No JavaScript and no
    problem when clients have JavaScript disabled.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Oct 6, 2007
  5. rich

    John L. Guest

    rich wrote:
    >> I would go with a database solution. Much easier and scalable in the
    >> long run.

    > But,
    > A) I would have to learn databases from scratch

    I think you'll find it's surprisingly straightforward to create simple
    database-driven websites, and it will open up a whole new world of
    possibilities.

    An excellent book to get started with is 'Build Your Own Database Driven
    Website Using PHP & MySQL' by Kevin Yank.
    John L., Oct 7, 2007